Thread: wz35 Radom

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

wz35 Radom

Let's talk about this old preWWII Polish pistol. Just saw a TFB post from last month were Radom is going to produce them again and I hope some get imported. Here's the new and then I talk about my old one.

2018 is set to see the return of Fabryka Broni Łucznik-Radom (FB Radom)’s iconic pistol, the wz.35 VIS, widely known simply as the Radom.

Milmag reports that the pistol will return to production next year and hopefully be available in the in the second half of 2018. While the production runs won’t be large, FB Radom reportedly hope to continually offer the wz.35. Radom also confirmed that the new VIS pistols will cost no more than 4,000 PLN – or $1,100.

The 9x19mm wz.35 was adopted as the Polish service pistol in 1935. The design is derived from John Browning’s 1911, although it differs in calibre and some internal and external features. The pistol was developed by Piotr Wilniewczyc and Jan Skrzypiński in the early 1930s.

Approximately 49,000 were made before Poland was invaded in September 1939. Production at Radom continued under the Nazis occupation, with approximately 330,000 more pistols produced before 1945. The German designation for the wz.35 was the Pistolen 35(p). Poland did not resume production after the war.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...rn-production/

I found a late war production one at a gunshow in Austin Tx, some time early 80s, full with Nazi waffen proof marks. Came with a full flap holster and one mag. Got couple spares and spare firing pin from Tom Forrest out of Shotgun News back then. Gave the gun to my father, which I got back when he pasted away. Pistol is still down in San Antonio at my mothers. The single action auto has a decocking lever that was to aid in the one handed decocking when the cavalry trooper was at a gallop. Safety feature like the grip safety on the M1911. Two automatic pistols that overlapped horse soldiers.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What is the third lever extending from the beaver tail area that is absent on your gun?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Guess I'm a bit incredulous they would produce this pistol again- although I think it's a pretty cool, old pistol.
    I suppose there are are a couple dozen people that would buy this, maybe to round out a collection.

They stopped production of the P-35 Browning, but there's a bunch of them out there, with some aftermarket parts and MAGAZINES available.
    I suppose 99% of the gun population feel the BHP is a dinosaur. Re-introducing the Radom? Curious.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    What is the third lever extending from the beaver tail area that is absent on your gun?
    Looks like the thumb safety was omitted as a "wartime expedient".
    Still had the grip safety and hammer drop, although an actual safety that tied up the sear/hammer is always nice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That third lever is not a thumb safety. Its a take down lever that engages a notch in the slide to push the slide, locking it open so you can push the slide stop out. As an expedient during the war it was omitted. They also changed the captive recoil spring/guide rod for a removable one.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat_Diver View Post
    The design is derived from John Browning’s 1911,
    Actually form other JMB work: Browning High Power. Poland initially selected HP as service pistol in 1929, then dropped selection and designed own one. Making own one instead of buying HP was partially results of FN faiures in contract for light machine gun (Browning M1925), that Poland finally also terminated in 1930 and started domestic production of "clone" Browning wz.28. Full story in good English in Forgotten Weapons video on wz.35.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)