Thread: Introduction weight lifting setup for young teen

Feedback Score

Introduction weight lifting setup for young teen

My son is 12 and is about full grown in height. Muscle mass, not so much. We have a few free weights, but I was looking for a system for him to work with. The prime consideration is safety, the next would be that he can work it himself. I can’t be there everytime since I travel for work.

When I was a kid I had some free weights and a wall based system with captured weights for bench and legs. I really don’t see the systems I had.

Any suggetions? Not looking to break the bank and there are so many options out there

We have a tread mill and a House of Cards rower already.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    We have a lot of Rogue equipment (Rigs, Racks, bars, etc) at work. Well made with a wide range of prices depending on how big/versatile you’re after. They make wall mounts as well. For squatting safety, all you need is adjustable horizontal bars down below to set the bar upon in case of failure. For benching, honestly you can just elect to not use locking collars and dump the weight off one side should the need occur. That’s what I’m forced to do if no one else is on duty (not that I’ve ever missed a lift, mind you.). Rogue does make a bench with a set of heavy stretchy bands as a safety measure. I was just looking at it the other day as a possible request. I don’t remember the price off the top of my head but it wasn’t cheap.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    We have a lot of Rogue equipment (Rigs, Racks, bars, etc) at work. Well made with a wide range of prices depending on how big/versatile you’re after. They make wall mounts as well. For squatting safety, all you need is adjustable horizontal bars down below to set the bar upon in case of failure. For benching, honestly you can just elect to not use locking collars and dump the weight off one side should the need occur. That’s what I’m forced to do if no one else is on duty (not that I’ve ever missed a lift, mind you.). Rogue does make a bench with a set of heavy stretchy bands as a safety measure. I was just looking at it the other day as a possible request. I don’t remember the price off the top of my head but it wasn’t cheap.
    I just set the horizontal bars for bench. Axially loading my spine with several hundred pounds just seems...dumb.

Feedback Score
    Too young for weight training. Pushups, pull-ups, running and active in as many sports as possible, is the best game plan at this junture.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Haha, it is certainly not ideal but I’ve never seen anything bad resulting other than embarrassment and noise. Personally, I’ve never been able to set up a general power rack for bench as opposed to a dedicated bench press setup. But that’s me, kinda OCD

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Linebacker View Post
    Too young for weight training. Pushups, pull-ups, running and active in as many sports as possible, is the best game plan at this junture.
    Exactly. There is not yet enough testosterone to make weight training anything other than hard work with little or no gains. Gymnastics, or wrestling, or martial arts may be better. Think skill rather than strength.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Exactly. There is not yet enough testosterone to make weight training anything other than hard work with little or no gains. Gymnastics, or wrestling, or martial arts may be better. Think skill rather than strength.

If I could go back in time and belong to a family with money, I would have wanted to be involved in either wrestling, or gymnastics as a young child, preferably both.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linebacker View Post
    This is great advice. Another thing to consider, if there is a legitimate one in your area, would be an MMA gym. From my experience they are very focused on functional fitness-
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Looking for general fitness or for sport(weight lifting).

12 Is not to young to train for the sport, it becomes mostly about proper form and learning about the rules.

If for General fitness, engage in some HITT training. It will be the most beneficial at this stage in their development.

Stay away from the MMA garbage until they are comfortable with themselves... that is just setting them up for emotional issues.