Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Officer fired for scared straight style policing.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I would imagine that this was not what got him fired, it is what finally got him fired.
    Exactly, we had a few around here that the new chief got rid of quickly and publicly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I would imagine that this was not what got him fired, it is what finally got him fired.
    bingo

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Officer Sanders literally did nothing wrong.
    I would say yes he did. What was his probable cause for the traffic stop. Someone yelling a slur at me is not a legal reason to pull them over. It may piss you off but that does not give you a right to take enforcement action against something that is not a crime.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I don't know if his conduct on this stop in-and-of itself would warrant a firing. Write up? Maybe. Counseling? Maybe. I could even say suspension. But as others have pointed out, it sounds like this was one thing in a line of issues this guy had. Plus, if he pulled the guy over only for yelling "f*ck the police", then that's a major problem. Had he been walking down the street and these assholes decided to start something, and then he went on and said what he said to them in the midst of a mere encounter, I think there would be less of an issue.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by An Undocumented Worker View Post
    I'm not looking to start a flame war just a discussion of the merits of the stop.
    There was no merit to the stop. I cringed when he pulled everyone out of the car and threatened to conduct an illegal search and arrest everyone if he found anything. Because shit like that actually happens... It's petty, really damn petty. Especially from someone in real authority and is old enough to know better. You're a cop, leave the parenting to the parents. If you're that broken up about it, next time maybe pull up next to them at the next light and express yourself, "Boys, I have a loooooong memory. Ya'll drive safe now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^^^^^^
    This with the caveat that I wouldn't even go that far. These kids will either grow out of it or they won't and if they legit mess up then the cold, detached DGAF approach stings way more than the whole "He only messes with me because he secretly cares about me".

Its like High School, loudest kid gets the most attention.

I know people who will (falsely) try to say shouting "F the police" is 'Disorderly Conduct'.

To me someone getting yelled F da Poleese is the greatest test of whether you need to be doing the job. If that's all it takes then go back to Junior High.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I HATE when parents stop me/call me/ask me to scare their kid straight. We are the police, we enforce laws. We are not the parenting arm of the government. I do not take it upon myself to parent anyone but my son.

I occasionally work in a School Resource Officer role, forcing me to slightly blur these lines. I try to make every contact these kids have with the police positive in some way, even if they are getting a summons/ticket/arrest.

Billy badass policing resonates with almost no one.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Billy badass policing resonates with almost no one.
    It resonates alright... with the all wrong people for all the wrong reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The only scared straight that I did is when I took a call in the projects and this single mom told me her (very large for his age) 12 year old son would not listen, was disrespectful and threatened to call the police on her if she spanked him. I told her, in front of the kid, that there is no law against disciplining a child and that she could wear his butt out if he needed it. Which she proceeded to do before I got out the door. We never took another call there.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    The only scared straight that I did is when I took a call in the projects and this single mom told me her (very large for his age) 12 year old son would not listen, was disrespectful and threatened to call the police on her if she spanked him. I told her, in front of the kid, that there is no law against disciplining a child and that she could wear his butt out if he needed it. Which she proceeded to do before I got out the door. We never took another call there.
    This no joke happened to me too. Like I even stood there while Buster Brown got his little butt whipped.

These stupid white guilt, just outta college females tell these kids to call DFACS if they get a spanking and use it to browbeat the (grand)parent(s). I eventually ran off the OCGA code section specifying legal corporal punishment when I would do Juvenile complaint forms for Incorrigibility just so the legal guardians could put it on the refrigerator and save a pointless 911 call.
    Last edited by Firefly; 01-23-18 at 18:13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast