Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me pick a mount for a bolt action gun....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nobody's saying the Nightforce won't work, or is a mediocre optic. It's just doesn't fit in well with the light weight comment, which seems to not be an absolute requirement.

The Spuhr direct attach mount like this one https://www.milehighshooting.com/spu...l-24moa-1-378/ will definitely work, and might even have a similar weight to the factory picatinny rail and separate heavy duty rings. I'd personally use the factory picatinny mount and get separate rings and put the $300+ dollars in savings towards a single stage handloading setup.

Even an optic that's mounted "too high" can be made to work well with the addition of an add-on cheek rest. It's possible that the factory stock won't work with the 50mm objective bell just off the barrel, and additional comb height will be necessary.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-22-18 at 00:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Nobody's saying the Nightforce won't work, or is a mediocre optic. It's just doesn't fit in well with the light weight comment, which seems to not be an absolute requirement.

The Spuhr direct attach mount like this one https://www.milehighshooting.com/spu...l-24moa-1-378/ will definitely work, and might even have a similar weight to the factory picatinny rail and separate heavy duty rings. I'd personally use the factory picatinny mount and get separate rings and put the $300+ dollars in savings towards a single stage handloading setup.

Even an optic that's mounted "too high" can be made to work well with the addition of an add-on cheek rest. It's possible that the factory stock won't work with the 50mm objective bell just off the barrel, and additional comb height will be necessary.
    Makes sense. That would make the 4-16x42 model a better option. The CTR T3x has an elevated cheek piece, but it may or may not be enough. As accurate of a rifle the T3x is, it would probably be even better in a Manners carbon fiber stock.....in which case I might as well go custom and order something from GAP. Lol.

Thanks for the replies.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here’s my .2 cents based off experience. I personally run a Spuhr mount holding my S&B on my GAP-10. It’s amazing, fabulous, all that. BUT, it’s expensive, and the number of people that are willing to spend that money on a mount are few. When it came time to glass up my A.I. 6.5CM, I went with Spuhr rings. Less money than the full mount. Crazy strong, about $100 less if I remember correctly. Don’t hold me to that exact price, but they were less. Now, a couple weeks ago, I mounted my buddy’s Razor 4.5-27 on his Ruger RPR. He was on a tighter budget, so I went with Seekins rings. Seekins is who manufactured the rings for Vortex. They are excellent rings, and I would not hesitate to use them again. One other company is Badger. They’ve been at it a very long time, and do a great job. The Seekins or Badger are both going to be top quality, for less than Spuhr prices.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Is it even legal to use "Scout Rifle" and 'Nightforce 4-16x50" in the same sentence? Just saying..
    my first though reading this as well... 50 objective and 34 mm tube on a scout?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    NXS™ 2.5-10×42 and Seekins is what I would go for on a light weight 600m rifle that does not need QDC.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    For under 600 yards, Seekins or Vortex branded Seekins rings will be perfect. Often under $100 used (I'd get them used in a heartbeat).

I really like the NF unimounts, use the 3 bolt for the heavier optics

spuhr is overkill by far for your purpose
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 03-02-18 at 06:45. Reason: clarification

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12