Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a mount for a bolt action gun....

Feedback Score

Question Help me pick a mount for a bolt action gun....

I’m ordering a Tikka T3x compact tactical rifle in .308 winchester. It will be sort of a “scout like” rifle, so low weight is the priority (otherwise, I would buy the Tac A1). I plan on buying a Nightforce 4-16x50 ATACR with a 34 mm tube for it. I plan on using this possibly for hunting and definitely for a Gunsite or similar rifle class (shooting < 800 yards). The gun will also wear a suppressor. I don’t reload, nor do I have access to ranges > 600 yards, so I really don’t need a 6.5 Creedmor or .300 Win Mag rifle right now here in Indiana.

I don’t see myself needing QD capability for this set up, so help me pick a mount. Should I ante up for a Sphur or would Badger Ordnance or Nightforce work fine? 10-20 MOA or 0 MOA tilt? Unimount or individual rings?

If you think my set up is stupid and should try something different, please let me know.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I really like the Geissele mounts.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you don't need quick detach ability and light weight is important, then separate picatinny rings is my recommendation. They should also allow you to mount the scope lower than an integrated mount, most of which are intended to be used with an AR. Within 800 yards with the ATACR, you shouldn't need any additional MOA.

I've got a couple sets of Seekins rings, and they've been great so far.

Feedback Score
    Seekins rings is what I have on my T3 CTR.
    I think I have the medium rings.

Only downside to the CTR is the stock. After you put a few hundred rnds through it, you will want a stock that has and adjustable LOP and and adjustable check piece.
    I am leaning towards a McMillan stock for mine.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    http://www.egwguns.com/tikka/

I'm not the World's Greatest Authority on bolt guns but I've used two of these (one on a Howa and one on a 700LA). They seem like good stuff to me.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Is it even legal to use "Scout Rifle" and 'Nightforce 4-16x50" in the same sentence? Just saying..

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That’s what I was thinking. OP, why that scope?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lucky for the OP, he put them into different sentences.

My guess is that he's using a very loose interpretation of the Scout Rifle concept, and will be mounting the optic above the receiver.

My question, had I initially asked it, would have been is it legal to use Nightforce 4-16x50 and low weight to describe the same rifle? Sure, it's great glass, but it weighs a bit over 2 poounds.....by itself. An NXS 2.5-10x42 would make a lot more sense to me.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-21-18 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spuhr, NF, or Geissele would be my preferred options. The NF mounts are great, reasonable weight and they don’t break the bank. Spuhr makes beautiful mounts, albeit heavier than many others and not inexpensive. Spuhr mounts are like works of art IMO.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 01-21-18 at 21:42.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies

This was my original post regarding rifle choices: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...vs-Steyr-Scout

The Tikka T3x has a built in picatinny rail, so no need to buy one. I just need two or one piece scope rings. ai thought Geissele’s were meant for ARs only?

If the Steyr had a true Picatinny rail, I would buy one so I could swap optics with my ARs if I had to. The Tikka T3x gives me most of what I want: an accurate general purpose rifle that should weigh under 10 lbs with a scope. Heck, I would buy their Artic model, but the front sight obscures the barrel threads, so you can’t mount a suppressor. Hence, the T3x CTR gives me a 10 round mag, studs for a sling and bipod and a Picatinny rail. The only other rifle with similar specs is GAP’s Thunder Ranch rifle, which is much heavier due to the Bartlein barrel.

Why the 4-16x50 ATACR? I’m -8.5 D in both eyes and anything beyond 300yards I want magnification and a bright image. If I were richer, I would buy a S&B 4-16 Ultra Bright but I think the Nightforce will work just fine for $1000 less.

Again, this is not a true Scout rifle, but a general purpose bolt gun for work 100-800 yards in 7.62 NATO. My SCAR 17 is a real scout rifle

Thanks again. Sounds like several votes for Nightforce and Seekins. Does Geissele work on a bolt gun or too high?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast