Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking current thoughts on 70gr GMX

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Buford, thanks much. The round's use through a 16", 18", or 20" barrel is of most interest to me. Have you had an opportunity to use it through those length barrels and, if so, what results did you observe?
    I took one hog with my 16" BRT Optimum intermediate-gas barrel'd upper (also suppressed). Same effect. Quarter sized entry wound (no neck), large hole in cartilage plate, larger hole in the bone behind cart plate, bone fragments and minced meat formed a large (for caliber) permanent wound cavity that....though it tapered....extends the length of the wound channel. Exit wound was larger than a silver dollar...with "guts" and bone fragments blown all over the saw palmettos behind the hog. But that's the same description for every kill with this round. Only other round that performs (essentially identically) is the 62gr Federal TBBC in the XM556FBIT3 loading, from the same guns.

Cleaning the hogs revealed both rounds to have an essentially true wound track as far as I could recall the original trajectory of the bullet.

I'm significantly less concerned with recovering a bullet than I am the animal. I've so far recovered 100% of my animals (with either DRT results, or a "track" of less than 30 feet) and 0% of my bullets.....and I'm totally happy with that.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 02-12-18 at 15:00.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buford, have you used the 55gr GMX on hogs? Curious, if you have, if you noticed any difference in penetration between the 55gr & 70gr?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I took one hog with my 16" BRT Optimum intermediate-gas barrel'd upper (also suppressed). Same effect. Quarter sized entry wound (no neck), large hole in cartilage plate, larger hole in the bone behind cart plate, bone fragments and minced meat formed a large (for caliber) permanent wound cavity that....though it tapered....extends the length of the wound channel. Exit wound was larger than a silver dollar...with "guts" and bone fragments blown all over the saw palmettos behind the hog. But that's the same description for every kill with this round. Only other round that performs (essentially identically) is the 62gr Federal TBBC in the XM556FBIT3 loading, from the same guns.

Cleaning the hogs revealed both rounds to have an essentially true wound track as far as I could recall the original trajectory of the bullet.

I'm significantly less concerned with recovering a bullet than I am the animal. I've so far recovered 100% of my animals (with either DRT results, or a "track" of less than 30 feet) and 0% of my bullets.....and I'm totally happy with that.
    Great, detailed, useful info. Thanks very much.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    Buford, have you used the 55gr GMX on hogs? Curious, if you have, if you noticed any difference in penetration between the 55gr & 70gr?
    Yes I have. Not much, honestly. Both exited. Possibly fewer bone fragments from the sholder blade.

I still prefer the 70gr but I have some of each. The 55gr GMX I used was 5.56 NATO pressure Superformance. Felt very similar to the 70gr TAP as both are true 5.56 NATO pressure loads and you can feel it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Great, detailed, useful info. Thanks very much.
    Happy to help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I have 70gr TAP, 55gr TAP IN .223, and some of the Superformance 55gr that I think is 5.56, and a hog hunt next month in SC. I just gotta decide which load to zero with before heading south.

If I go with the 70gr, I'll post results, if I have any luck.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I have 70gr TAP, 55gr TAP IN .223, and some of the Superformance 55gr that I think is 5.56, and a hog hunt next month in SC. I just gotta decide which load to zero with before heading south.

If I go with the 70gr, I'll post results, if I have any luck.
    Post results with whatever you choose. The Superformance is offered in SAAMI pressure and NATO pressure, just FYI.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If oldtexan would be OK that, I will, but I don't want to derail his thread. Is that fine by you, tex?

Buford, what ranges have you been shooting hogs at w/ GMX bullets. I only bought 70gr because I thought it could be better at long ranges. 55gr ought to be decent inside 300yds, I'd think.

Man, the pressure is on. I better see lots of hogs, and damn sure I'd better not miss

Feedback Score
    If oldtexan would be OK that, I will, but I don't want to derail his thread. Is that fine by you, tex?

Buford, what ranges have you been shooting hogs at w/ GMX bullets. I only bought 70gr because I thought it could be better at long ranges. 55gr ought to be decent inside 300yds, I'd think.

Man, the pressure is on. I better see lots of hogs, and damn sure I'd better not miss
    Brett Kastl, thanks for asking. No problem here. I'd be interested in that info, too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. Hopefully I'll get a shot at a hog large enough to truly test the bullet, most are 125lbs or under, tough to recover a bullet after shooting one that size.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast