Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeking current thoughts on 70gr GMX

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Seeking current thoughts on 70gr GMX

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    If oldtexan would be OK that, I will, but I don't want to derail his thread. Is that fine by you, tex?

Buford, what ranges have you been shooting hogs at w/ GMX bullets. I only bought 70gr because I thought it could be better at long ranges. 55gr ought to be decent inside 300yds, I'd think.

Man, the pressure is on. I better see lots of hogs, and damn sure I'd better not miss
    25-200 yards. But I've taken hogs up to 285 pounds IIRC (pretty big for FL).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Back OT, does anyone expect the 70gr GMX to perform better at shorter distances (under 300, maybe) than the 55gr GMX bullet? Or, I should say, does anyone expect the 70gr GMX to do things under 300yds that the 55gr GMX bullet can't do just as well?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went on my hog hunt, but didn't see any pigs when I carried the rifle I had zeroed with GMX, no results to post, sorry.

At least I didn't have to come here & say I missed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    Went on my hog hunt, but didn't see any pigs when I carried the rifle I had zeroed with GMX, no results to post, sorry.

At least I didn't have to come here & say I missed.
    LOL

Will be interested to see when you finally bag one and dig out the bullet (assuming it doesn't through-and-through).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Watching this with interest.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    It was just released from Hornday this month. No testing on it from Dr. Roberts or Molon that I can find. It should function like the brown tip ammo with a GMX bullet rather than a TSX bullet.
    Then how have I been killing hogs with it for years now???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    It was just released from Hornday this month. No testing on it from Dr. Roberts or Molon that I can find. It should function like the brown tip ammo with a GMX bullet rather than a TSX bullet.
    Just got done texting Dr. Robert's about it. Basically, it works well, penetrates pretty deep, expands nicely, does well on bare and barrier gel tests. That was the gist. I'd post the quote from him, but I dont direct quote private convo.

It is my opinion and his that my petal shearing issue is secondary to using water as a medium.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-02-18 at 22:07.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I spoke with another friend of mine who kills tons of real things. The 70gr GMX I shipped him a few years ago expand to around 0.35" or so, track true, and do pretty well, but the 75gr Gold Dot I sent him + the 70gr Browntip do equal top each other, and better than the GMX.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I dug...and I dug deeper. There are multiple generations of the 70gr GMX projectile. I tested some a few years ago, from a 16.1" carbine, at 100 yards on water filled milk jugs. The result was a projectile t that shed 100% of the petals, 100% of the time, and tumbled erratically as just a shank out of the jug-stack half the time before reaching jug #3.

Interestingly, even Molon glossed over this, as he shows a picture of a Gen 1 GMX 70gr round as well as the Gen 2 version, in the same post, without seemingly differentiating. Notice the "constricted tip" of the G1.

Later in the same post, we see the Gen 2(+?)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...MX-TAP-Barrier

Here is the result of my testing at 40 yards using pork and water jugs, with the Gen2 round. It was fired from a 16.1" carbine as mentioned, and performed identically to those fired into just water jugs at 100 yards from same. Petals gone, "banana'ed shank".
    http://i63.tinypic.com/21kk0vk.jpg
    This is current production 70gr GMX from a 14.5" Hodge MOD 2, impact at 25 yards on water jugs. Tracked straight and penetrated 5 jugs or so as I recall. I believe I found it in jug #6.
    It was chronographed at 2734fps at 10 yards from the muzzle, extrapolated to a 2694fps impact velocity at the jugs.

Of note, the impact on the jugs was...meaningful. Caps flew 50 feet into the air, etc. Also, note the shank, by where the petals "curl". You will see scratches on it. It is my theory that each petal rolls outward, then backwards, impacting the shank before curling. This means at some point in the bullet's passage, the expanded diameter would be nearly 1" tip to tip for an instant before the "curling" begins after the impact of the petal tips against the shank. This is just theory as I have no high speed video.

A lot of people have done a lot of work with these projectiles. Twist rate vs. velocity (bullet RPM) has been directly proven to influence expanded diameters of the GMX Gen 2+.

It is my OPINION that 2700fps is the "ceiling" for this projectile on a tough medium, such as pure water, etc. Maybe 2800fps or so in gel/animals/people. I am working on obtaining actual measured BC for the round. It has the makings at this stage of a helluva SBR 14.5" and shorter barrel round.

Just my .02.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-28-18 at 09:52.

Feedback Score
    So if I bought some 70gr GMX loaded by Black Hills (to 5.56NATO pressures) back in 2016 what generation did I get? They were expensive, that's for sure.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123