Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 hour battle leaves 40 + dead

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

13 hour battle leaves 40 + dead

Getting very little media attention, as people too focused on Trump calling places S holes and such. Pretty serious terrorist attack, but "only" Kabul, so no chits given apparently:

Kabul Intercontinental Hotel siege leaves more than 40 dead, Afghanistan official says

More than 40 people were killed after Taliban gunmen stormed the Intercontinental Hotel in Afghanistan's capital on Saturday, a government official told Fox News on Sunday.

The assault by six "heavily-armed" assailants pinned down security forces for more than 13 hours before the last attacker was killed, as guests were forced to flee the building while parts of the structure caught fire.

Some guests couple be seen shimmying down tied-together bedsheets from upper-floor windows, while others were rescued by Afghan forces. The heavily-guarded luxury hotel is popular among foreigners and Afghan officials.

Cont:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/01...cial-says.html
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This incident is my biggest concern at work. We have lots of equipment but more than two attackers with coordinated movement and US law enforcement would be overwhelmed pretty quick. David

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nobody gives a hoot cause no Americans were killed apparently. Mostly Afghanis killing Afghanis. I’m honestly surprised that foreigners travel to that shithole and stay at a hotel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Nobody gives a hoot cause no Americans were killed apparently. Mostly Afghanis killing Afghanis. I’m honestly surprised that foreigners travel to that shithole and stay at a hotel.
    Right, and exactly what constitutes a "luxury" hotel by Afghan standards? Would it be a one-star anywhere else?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am more upset that Turkey is bombing Kurds in Syria and the U.S. is doing nothing.

Afghanistan is a shit hole and they have been killing each other since way before I was born, and they will be killing each other long after I am in the ground.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-21-18 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Hey! How dare you call that wonderful place of diverse people a shithole! Racist! *sarcasm*

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am more upset that Turkey is bombing Kurds in Syria and the U.S. is doing nothing.

This.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    This incident is my biggest concern at work. We have lots of equipment but more than two attackers with coordinated movement and US law enforcement would be overwhelmed pretty quick. David
    My worry as well. The U.S. has never had to deal with a lot of the terrorism the rest of the world has. As a result, we have never really prepared to deal with it. We've had major bombings (OKC, 9/11, Boston Marathon, etc) and a lot of loan wolf attacks, but never any boots-on-the-ground, paramilitary attacks from well equipped and trained hostile groups, massive hostage takings, hijackings, etc. We only have one domestic law enforcement counterterrorism unit in the FBI's HRT, and even they have never really dealt with a major incident on U.S. soil. They've functioned more as a "super SWAT team" than a true counterterrorism unit. From what I understand, we're still playing catch up to most of the rest of the developed world in terms of domestic counterterrorism capabilities. In most of those countries, counterterror units are either military special operations units dedicated to domestic counterterrorism, such as the UK's SAS CRW or the Netherlands' Marine Corps UIM, or they are police officers trained for actual special operations and combat, such as France's GIGN, Israel's Yamam, Germany's GSG9, etc. It also seems like the U.S. treats terrorism on our soil as a criminal/public safety issue. Most other countries treat it as an act of war.

I honestly don't know what needs to be done. I am 100% certain that no change to our domestic CT abilities will occur until we have something like the Moscow Theater siege or Mumbai attacks. There will be a lot of dead civilians, and a lot of dead cops. If it occurred outside the DC area, it would be hours before HRT could even get on scene. What changes would need to be made afterward? I don't know.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Right, and exactly what constitutes a "luxury" hotel by Afghan standards? Would it be a one-star anywhere else?
    Maybe 3. Was one of the few remaining that NGOs put their people up in.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    My worry as well. The U.S. has never had to deal with a lot of the terrorism the rest of the world has. As a result, we have never really prepared to deal with it. We've had major bombings (OKC, 9/11, Boston Marathon, etc) and a lot of loan wolf attacks, but never any boots-on-the-ground, paramilitary attacks from well equipped and trained hostile groups, massive hostage takings, hijackings, etc. We only have one domestic law enforcement counterterrorism unit in the FBI's HRT, and even they have never really dealt with a major incident on U.S. soil. They've functioned more as a "super SWAT team" than a true counterterrorism unit. From what I understand, we're still playing catch up to most of the rest of the developed world in terms of domestic counterterrorism capabilities. In most of those countries, counterterror units are either military special operations units dedicated to domestic counterterrorism, such as the UK's SAS CRW or the Netherlands' Marine Corps UIM, or they are police officers trained for actual special operations and combat, such as France's GIGN, Israel's Yamam, Germany's GSG9, etc. It also seems like the U.S. treats terrorism on our soil as a criminal/public safety issue. Most other countries treat it as an act of war.

I honestly don't know what needs to be done. I am 100% certain that no change to our domestic CT abilities will occur until we have something like the Moscow Theater siege or Mumbai attacks. There will be a lot of dead civilians, and a lot of dead cops. If it occurred outside the DC area, it would be hours before HRT could even get on scene. What changes would need to be made afterward? I don't know.
    First, FBI has regional SWAT out of various field offices whose training is probably a notch below HRT, but above your average city of 50,000's SWAT team. Most states have their own statewide SWAT teams, too. Second, you're talking about countries as small as Connecticut to no bigger than Texas, where it's a lot easier to get tip-of-the-spear people to places in a short amount of time. Third, I would place many of the mid to large metro SWAT teams at least on par with the best Moscow or Mumbai police could come up with - disregarding the fact that those were multi-day incidents where you would have time to bring in something like HRT - and many of them cross-train with HRT and special forces. There is no place in the world, except maybe Kabul and Baghdad, where you'd have the right personnel resources to respond to something like that/this within 15 minutes. In the U.S., on the other hand, almost every city/county with more than 50,000 people has a SWAT team (which is not common around the world) and they do train for these kinds of scenarios, albeit probably not for 5+ attackers, which itself would be difficult to pull off here. I would also argue that it's a lot harder to carry out an operation like this in the U.S. than any of the countries mentioned for various reasons. We are about as prepared, balanced against practicality, as we can be.

Finally, as long as we have a Constitution, these events are properly treated, at least initially, as policing events.
    Last edited by sundance435; 01-22-18 at 13:32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast