Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot or 1-6 or 1-4 for home defense

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Red dot or 1-6 or 1-4 for home defense

I know that a red dot makes a good optic for home defense. The question is whether a 1-6 or even a 1-4 would fulfill that role as well. Obviously, with the variable optic power it gives you the ability to shoot much more accurately at distance. Many of the new ones also appear to be both eyes open at close distances while on 1 power. As such, what do you think.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Is shooting at distance an actual possibility in your home defense plan?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shooting at distance

Shooting at distance is not truly an actual concern for the rifle, however, bringing it to the range to train And to do other things would make it more interesting to have the variable power optic. That is why I asked. The main question is whether people thought that the low power variable optics were inferior to a red dot for close range home defense. If they are not, then Are red dots days numbered?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    including the “other things” changed the situation. In a home defense role, no I don’t think you gain an advantage by having the variable. It’s likely to be heavier than a red dot. Buying a variable that is quality enough to be considered duty grade plus a mount is going to be considerably more expensive at retail prices than a red dot plus a mount.

Red dots aren’t going anywhere. Have they lost some market share? Sure. Some. But nothing substantial.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If a proper cheekweld with correct eye relief is acheived, then a lower power variable optic can certainly be used in a home defense situation. If these conditions can't be met for unknown reasons, then you're screwed.

All variable optics can be used with both eyes open, and if you are still closing one eye, then that should be addressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What do you think you’ll be doing more with the rifle, defending your home or shooting at the range?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Of course, you'll always be shooting the rifle more frequently at the range then actually shooting somebody in your house. The question is do you think you actually lose something substantial at all with the variable power as compared to a red dot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Obviously, I mean do you loose something at close range with the variable power as compared to the red dot or have the modern low power variable scope's basically erased the red dots advantage .

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think what he’s getting at is whether or not it will be a range gun that you may use for home defense or is it a home defense gun you may use a truck the range. The two are different.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Home defense gun that I bring to the range to shoot. Not a truck gun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast