Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot or 1-6 or 1-4 for home defense

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    Of course, you'll always be shooting the rifle more frequently at the range then actually shooting somebody in your house. The question is do you think you actually lose something substantial at all with the variable power as compared to a red dot.
    Most RDS will have a larger field of view than a LPVO. They’re lighter. Depending on retical, they will be always on and ready. With that said, if you think you’ll get more use out of a variable, get it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    Home defense gun that I bring to the range to shoot. Not a truck gun.
    Then I say red dot.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’m no DeltaDevGru ninja, but in my experience the LPVO needs more training to shoot as fast as an RDS. And don’t kid yourself, if you’re shooting at people in your home speed will be king. Unless you’re rush enough to have a home big enough to need 6x mag to PID a threat, you’ll be better off with an RDS. I have 1 LPVO on a rifle and while it’s fun to use at the range, the reality of life is that it’s unlikely that I’m going to be shooting at anything with a carbine beyond ranges that the RDS won’t work. My reason for getting one was to simply have 1 and to see if my astigmatism effects can be minimized. After almost a year of work, even with the fuzzy dot, I’m faster at CQB ranges with the RDS. I’m debating just getting a Prismatic equivalent to the RDS and comparing there as well.

Maybe a decent option might be an RDS with a good magnifier. You can run the RDS for CQB and have the magnifier available fir range days of use in the field.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Practice and shoot with your red dot.

Believe it or not, you can shoot them accurately at moderate distances with practice.

If you want some magnification for the range get a 3x magnifier that you can take off at home.

I have both kinds of setups and I keep the RDS ready at home - not that I'd feel bad with the LPV optic equipped rifle, but the RDS makes more sense for the role.

Feedback Score
    I chose a T2 for my 14.5" ELW BCM HD rifle. I find the red dot is fast to acquire the target. You can leave it on, and with a five year battery life, changing the battery every year or two works well for me.

The whole setup is light and fast.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Red dot or 1-6 or 1-4 for home defense

I’m so tired of hearing about the five year battery life shit from Aimpoints. It’s five years at the first or second setting after NV which is next to useless when paired with a white light. If I set the dot to a brightness setting where it’ll be easily picked up even while my light is on, the battery will last less than a year.

OP, I have one of each on my two primary training guns. I chose the Aimpoint T2 for my wife’s gun, which is also my dedicated HD gun. Since it’s hers, I want it to be lightweight and easy to use. The Aimpoint fulfills that role very well. My gun has had a Steiner P4Xi in an ADM mount for the past few months because I wanted the additional capability. I am slightly slower with the LPVO, but I have less than five hundred rounds through the P4 vs maybe 10k through Aimpoints and EOTechs. I expect that I’ll close the time gap between the two, but I’m not overly concerned about it because it is pretty small already. I’ve realized though, that if it were just for me, I’d absolutely put an LPVO on my HD gun because the reticle is etched. A damn EMP could hit and I could still use that thing. As long as it’s a quality scope in a quality mount, and you practice with it, I think it’s perfectly fine for HD. And it’s still cheaper than a T2, not even including the mount.

I didn’t used to see the need, but after picking up my HD gun and finding the dot dead three times now, I never won’t have a fixed front sight on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-21-18 at 19:59.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’m so tired of hearing about the five year battery life shit from Aimpoints. It’s five years at the first or second setting after NV which is next to useless when paired with a white light. If I set the dot to a brightness setting where it’ll be easily picked up even while my light is on, the battery will last less than a year.

OP, I have one of each on my two primary training guns. I chose the Aimpoint T2 for my wife’s gun, which is also my dedicated HD gun. Since it’s hers, I want it to be lightweight and easy to use. The Aimpoint fulfills that role very well. My gun has had a Steiner P4Xi in an ADM mount for the past few months because I wanted the additional capability. I am slightly slower with the LPVO, but I have less than five hundred rounds through the P4 vs maybe 10k through Aimpoints and EOTechs. I expect that I’ll close the time gap between the two, but I’m not overly concerned about it because it is pretty small already. I’ve realized though, that if it were just for me, I’d absolutely put an LPVO on my HD gun because the reticle is etched. A damn EMP could hit and I could still use that thing. As long as it’s a quality scope in a quality mount, and you practice with it, I think it’s perfectly fine for HD. And it’s still cheaper than a T2, not even including the mount.

I didn’t used to see the need, but after picking up my HD gun and finding the dot dead three times now, I never won’t have a fixed front sight on it.

Maybe there’s an issue with your Aimpoint. I’ll find mine cranked all the way up after getting bounced around in my backpack and it has been at that setting for days, maybe over a week at a time, and I’ve never had any battery issues. I still change it out every year and keep a spare on the rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

kind of off topic, what setting are you running your optics on and what optics? I m curious since I run an old beat up M2 on like setting 7 or something, and it lasts for me a whole year never being turned off, I change the battery after a year, around Christmas and carry on. I haven't picked up one of the Micros yet, though I have been thinking out it, or the MRO, but the way i tend to look at it is that I am replacing the battery every year even if it is going to run for 3 because it is cheap insurance. And having the battery die once, albeit on my M2 something like 3 years after I bought it, to cure me of that issue.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If the primary purpose of the gun were HD, I would say go with a RDS, and train with it setup that way.

On a general purpose rifle, especially if its your only one, a LPV is more versatile. LPVs excel in competition or for hunting. They are also heavier and more expensive.

When I was a young Soldier, we were very paranoid about battery life in our Aimpoints and changed them often. That has stuck with me, even though I know better now. I like that a LPV is still usable if I forget to turn it on or if the battery has died. Of course, with the RDS, you have your front sight if that happens.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast