Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red dot or 1-6 or 1-4 for home defense

Feedback Score
    PNorris, go with the red dot and buy an excellent quality one such as an Aimpoint or Trijicon MRO. Red dots are fast and with the dot sizes being 2-4MOA, they are more than accurate enough to reach out to 300 and even 400 meters on man-size silhouettes for most AR15 platforms. You can also add magnification to the rifle later if you decide you need even more accuracy. Seeing as how you stated home defense as a priority, then set yourself up for success with a non-magnified red dot which has less chance of working against you like a variable could at CQB/house distances when trying to find proper eye relief for whatever magnification the optic was last left on. I also believe that large objective lensed red dots are easier to pick up in darkness or no light and will help in aligning the rifle before you tap your light on. RDs are also great for keeping your focus in the possible threat area/range and this can aid in situational awareness. RDs like Aimpoints can be expensive but that's where the Trijicon MRO shines and that's in relative price. Regardless of price they are well worth the advantages. Good luck in choosing.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    I know that a red dot makes a good optic for home defense. The question is whether a 1-6 or even a 1-4 would fulfill that role as well. Obviously, with the variable optic power it gives you the ability to shoot much more accurately at distance. Many of the new ones also appear to be both eyes open at close distances while on 1 power. As such, what do you think.
    How big is your house? Do you plan on having to clear your house room by room? If so, get a good red dot. Otherwise, get a guard dog and a reliable revolver with low flash ammo and sleep with it under your pillow. Chances are in the event of a home invasion, the bad guy(s) will be on you before you have a chance to even get to your rifle. Even if you do, what happens then? You begin to spray around high velocity ammo which, in all probability, will go through walls and into adjoining rooms. That can be bad for the inhabitants of those areas. A dog is a good early warning system and the revolver is ready for action as soon as you hold it in your hand. Rifles aren't as efficient as a dog/revolver combo for interior home defense. Statistics show that most engagements are, at most, a few rounds. A short shotgun is my second choice. They never miss and usually don't go through walls.
    Last edited by AZRenegade; 01-23-18 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    Shooting at distance is not truly an actual concern for the rifle, however, bringing it to the range to train And to do other things would make it more interesting to have the variable power optic. That is why I asked. The main question is whether people thought that the low power variable optics were inferior to a red dot for close range home defense. If they are not, then Are red dots days numbered?
    Time for a second rifle.

That's the good news about this hobby. You can dedicate a rifle for HD (and I would - & I have), and train at the range accordingly with it. You can ALSO build another rifle for your distance practice, and with the affordability of rifles & gear these days, not break the piggybank. 'Gently used' equipment off of "for sale" pages on this & other boards make it even more affordable.

If not, and HD is your primary concern, than build that first. Pinch your pennies, save up, and build the long-range rifle later. Neither the parts, the scope, OR the range are going away, either...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lots of threads lately about what makes the best reactive interior home defense gun. Maneuverability, loudness, etc. all pretty much hashed to death at this point.

I'm in agreement with the camp that says G19/17 with a handheld flashlight and a couple spare mags on the nightstand is a good choice. There's no way I'd limit myself to revolver capacity and basically impossible reloads.

For most guys that just means your EDC pistol, which you're a zillion times more likely to need out in public than defending your house (unless you live in a trap house), laid on your nightstand at the end of the day.

That's super boring though because there's not much to talk about and nothing to post on instagram.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRenegade View Post
    How big is your house? Do you plan on having to clear your house room by room? If so, get a good red dot. Otherwise, get a guard dog and a reliable revolver with low flash ammo and sleep with it under your pillow. Chances are in the event of a home invasion, the bad guy(s) will be on you before you have a chance to even get to your rifle. Even if you do, what happens then? You begin to spray around high velocity ammo which, in all probability, will go through walls and into adjoining rooms. That can be bad for the inhabitants of those areas. A dog is a good early warning system and the revolver is ready for action as soon as you hold it in your hand. Rifles aren't as efficient as a dog/revolver combo for interior home defense. Statistics show that most engagements are, at most, a few rounds. A short shotgun is my second choice. They never miss and usually don't go through walls.
    Not sure where you're getting this info, but XM193 has less barrier penetration than 9mm. As to the Revolver, more and more home invasions are being conducted by sometimes up to four or more assailants. I would rather plan for the worst case scenario than assume the average confrontation. Right now, my bed side gun is also my Carry handgun, giving me 15+1.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingtheHistoryM1 View Post
    Not sure where you're getting this info, but XM193 has less barrier penetration than 9mm. As to the Revolver, more and more home invasions are being conducted by sometimes up to four or more assailants. I would rather plan for the worst case scenario than assume the average confrontation. Right now, my bed side gun is also my Carry handgun, giving me 15+1.
    Well, my information is based on personal experience. My .223 rifle penetrates (puts holes) through regular 1/4" steel at 75yds. My 9mm pea shooter won't. So I figure my sheet rock walls from a few feet away don't have a chance of stopping a .223 round. And as far as multiple bad guys go, chances are, if you put one down the rest will be gone. But in my house it probably won't even come to that. With my Pit Bull and Labrador Retriever giving me early warning, they won't even get into the house. Bad guys like easy targets and once the element of surprise is gone, usually so are they. And if they don't retreat, my wife will have already called 911 and I'll be ready and waiting for them in a position specially chosen for such an occasion. Look, I don't want to get into a "I'm right your wrong" thing with this. I've given this a lot of thought and the above let's me sleep comfortably. If "15 + 1" allows you to rest peacefully at night, vaya con Dios.
    Last edited by AZRenegade; 01-30-18 at 13:17.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRenegade View Post
    Well, my information is based on personal experience. My .223 rifle penetrates (puts holes) through regular 1/4" steel at 75yds. My 9mm pea shooter won't. So I figure my sheet rock walls from a few feet away don't have a chance of stopping a .223 round. And as far as multiple bad guys go, chances are, if you put one down the rest will be gone. But in my house it probably won't even come to that. With my Pit Bull and Labrador Retriever giving me early warning, they won't even get into the house. Bad guys like easy targets and once the element of surprise is gone, usually so are they. And if they don't retreat, my wife will have already called 911 and I'll be ready and waiting for them in a position specially chosen for such an occasion. Look, I don't want to get into a "I'm right your wrong" thing with this. I've given this a lot of thought and the above let's me sleep comfortably. If "15 + 1" allows you to rest peacefully at night, via con Dios.
    Are your interior walls lined with steel or sheetrock? Multiple layers of sheetrock will stop 5.56 before 9 mm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Are your interior walls lined with steel or sheetrock? Multiple layers of sheetrock will stop 5.56 before 9 mm.
    OK, you're right, I'm wrong. Over and out!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Depends on what rounds
    High speed video comparison of multiple drywall penetration
    233, 9mm, 12g
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXOIQgfvVlE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Depends on what rounds
    High speed video comparison of multiple drywall penetration
    233, 9mm, 12g
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXOIQgfvVlE