Thread: Quick Release Mounts or Thumb Screw Mounts---Which Hold Zero Better?

Feedback Score

Quick Release Mounts or Thumb Screw Mounts---Which Hold Zero Better?

I am buying a prism optic tomorrow. In reading up on mounts, one guy advises to use the Thumb Screw mounts which come with these things but mark the screws so you hand tighten them down exactly the same each time and as a reference if they begin to come loose. But there are two screws involved making uneven tightening a real problem. I have BUIS but with a prism the scope will have to be removed to use them. Also, I like to dry fire with iron sights so the prism will be removed then and often. Will the QD mount hold zero better than the thumb screw mounts? If so, why don't they come standard with the ACOG line? The best, most expensive QD mount would not be 10% of the price of an ACOG. So what is the best? The most reliable? Which holds zero better?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 21:48.

Feedback Score
    Good idea.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Which sight are you buying?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will also ask what optic you are buying, out of curiosity as well as possibly helping narrow down options.

Since the ACOG mount was brought up I'll say this, I think Trij does off ACOG with QD mounts. The problem is that they offer them with ARMS mounts, which aren't exactly anyone's favorite. And having used ARMS mounts in the past, I would probably take the standard thumb screw mount over one. Then again I might be jaded. Also a QD mount would likely cost more money for Trij to add standard, and people bitch about the cost of ACOGs as is, and well people also like, to include me, to add their preferred mounts. Some there is something to that.

Now, on my ACOG I run a Larue mount, it works, though QD might be a bit of a misnomer since if you want your zero to hold you are going to tighten that bitch down to where you damn near need gorilla thumbs or a lever to pry the levers up. I honestly prefer it because the knobs on the standard mount hang out far enough to be a bit annoying and well QD is sexy. That said, there is the argument that a standard mount is going to be more rigid and hold zero better over time, all things being equal. A shitty thumb screw mount might get its ass handed to it by a high quality QD mount, and vis versa.

The witness marks on a thumbscrew mount, or even QD mount is never a bad idea, but I have always looked at them as more of insurance against the knobs walking over being able to repeatedly torque to the same spot. Might it help? Sure. But, if I remove a mount I will rezero it because I am OCD like that.

My advice, I'd shoot it with whatever mount it comes with, and see how well it holds zero for you, and go from there.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I'm getting a Primary Arms 2.5 prism. This is the smallest of their prisms. This optic is heavy at slightly over 15 ounces. People seem to think the least expensive but sufficing quick release mount is the American Defense AD-B3. The PA 2.5 should be here in two or three days and it comes with whatever thumb screw mount they provide. It looks like an ACOG mount. Here it is.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/primary...cle-black.html
    Last edited by Dr. Bullseye; 01-22-18 at 22:57.