Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 in cold climates

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde777 View Post
    I was reading another thread where people reported their 18" rifle length systems having issues in cold climates because of the lesser dwell time and it got me thinking has anyone heard or had a 14.5 mid length perform worse in a cold climates?
    It's entirely possible the 18" rifles had issues.

The dwell time is relatively short and overall available gas drive is low.

A far better configuration for 18" is the WOA (rifle-1) gas system.

FWIW, the 14.5 mid length is pretty much an ideal configuration in regards to gas system parameters.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    From North Idaho, an hour or so from Canada. Shot in the teens, probably 2500 ft elevation. Never a problem with bcm's mid length 14.5

Feedback Score
    Isn't the dwell time with a midlength 14.5 less than a rifle length 18"?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Having an overgassed gun with a longer dwell time certainly helps in extreme cold temperatures. I'd like all my guns be reliable down to -40 temps, but only rarely there are opportunities to test gear even at -15, so I do not know how my ARs would function at -40.

My SR-15 is so smooth to shoot at normal temps that I'm little bit worried if it has enough energy reserves for running reliably in extreme cold temperatures, when the gun is dirty, you can't use lube, and most ammo becomes light loads.
    Interesting. I have an 14.5" SR15 Mod 2 Carbine, it is smooth to shoot, but that's very subjective. While I didn't take it out to near as cold as -40 or whatever, I had it out for a weekend in the desert. It was high 30s to low 40s. I put anywhere from 600 to 800 rounds through it, mostly Wolf Gold with some dirty XM193 mixed in. The gun was lubed once before the weekend, and that was it as far as maintenance.

It shot perfectly fine with 0 hiccups. I know it's not the most insane round count and temperatures, but it was definitely dirty. It wasn't dragged through any mud or puddles, but it gets pretty dusty out there.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde777 View Post
    Isn't the dwell time with a midlength 14.5 less than a rifle length 18"?
    Just holding two barrels (18” RLGP/14.5”MLGP) up next to each other the amount of barrel past the port appears to be nearly the same. Google has the exact numbers.

Also, the 14.5 middy has more pressure at the port, and less distance to the BCG.

IMO, rifle gas 18” guns are best suited for full time suppressed or competition use. They can work unsuppressed, but why not go with 20” at that point? OTOH, 14.5” MLGP guns are well proven.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Shot a couple guns the last week.

It was -20 Here in Dullyouth. -45 with Windchill.
    Ya got me beat, we did receive around 14" of snow (and counting) but we are 45 degrees warmer than you up on the north shore... (Wind chill will have no effect with regard to the cycling of a rifle, although it's a bitch to face it head on!)
    Last edited by Stugotz; 01-22-18 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Little off topic....
    When I used to live less than 500 miles from the northern US boarder, I would put my rifles/pistols in a trash bag before bringing inside. I would get as much air out as I could. I would leave them wrapped like this until they normalized to the inside temp. This did not prevent all the condensation, but it helps.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-22-18 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know if this helps or not but I have run 14.5" carbine gas systems in -45 F (Ft. Wainwright areas) for the Army and it functioned fine. Only issue was frostbite on cheeks and noses. I also have run 16" carbine gas for a carbine class at -20 F and it was fine.

TED

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    I don't know if this helps or not but I have run 14.5" carbine gas systems in -45 F (Ft. Wainwright areas) for the Army and it functioned fine. Only issue was frostbite on cheeks and noses. I also have run 16" carbine gas for a carbine class at -20 F and it was fine.

TED
    Thanks what buffer and spring?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Standard, whatever the Army uses in standard issue M4.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast