Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 14.5 in cold climates

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Very interested in this topic but without setting some parameters a lot of useless info is wandering into it. IIRC Army tests to -60 with not sure if it is 48 or72 hour cold soak on weapon and ammo. Course as civie's we don't have the resources to do this but really data is useless we know what conditions rifle/ammo are exposed to prior to being fired. In other words if you leave rifle/ammo in your 0 deg garage overnight then take outside into -20 and fire it you have not proved it is functional at -20 but somewhere between 0 and -20. Without the cold soak prior to testing you have proved nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stugotz View Post
    DUDE, Do you not recall that in a prior post you stated the following?!?

I will agree with you that a rifle will operate perfectly fine in sub-zero temps, I am only taking issue with the statement that real feel of -40F affects the rifle from operating. Why don't you back up statement with a fact (or 2)...
    I was only stating the info I had from the app on my phone. Chill out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Very interested in this topic but without setting some parameters a lot of useless info is wandering into it. IIRC Army tests to -60 with not sure if it is 48 or72 hour cold soak on weapon and ammo. Course as civie's we don't have the resources to do this but really data is useless we know what conditions rifle/ammo are exposed to prior to being fired. In other words if you leave rifle/ammo in your 0 deg garage overnight then take outside into -20 and fire it you have not proved it is functional at -20 but somewhere between 0 and -20. Without the cold soak prior to testing you have proved nothing.
    Just using the last time I was out as an example the temp was -24ish for about 3 days. My rifle lives in my vehicle so a cold soak is taken into consideration in this case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    I was only stating the info I had from the app on my phone. Chill out.
    I was only stating facts that I learned in a Meteorological Sciences class I took while attending college. These facts were also stated in this thread by Titan74. Just for the record, I am and have been thoroughly Chilled Out here in Minnesota with the cooler weather we have had over the past month...

Feedback Score
    I don't really see it as an issue. I run it a little more wet when it's cold, but not a lot.

I went shooting a couple weeks back at -17 ambient temperature w/ a high wind. It was cold. My gun ate everything like candy.

I found it harder to find the will power to shoot with no gloves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Having an overgassed gun with a longer dwell time certainly helps in extreme cold temperatures. I'd like all my guns be reliable down to -40 temps, but only rarely there are opportunities to test gear even at -15, so I do not know how my ARs would function at -40.

My SR-15 is so smooth to shoot at normal temps that I'm little bit worried if it has enough energy reserves for running reliably in extreme cold temperatures, when the gun is dirty, you can't use lube, and most ammo becomes light loads.
    A little late to the party but your sr15 should have no problems at -40. Shot mine at -43 ambient and it ran fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Cold sucks. Seriously, it literally sucks. Cold sucks heat from a heat source. When you're gripping your AR in -40 degree temperatures and it feels like the cold is radiating through your gloves, the opposite is true. The cold is sucking the heat out of your gloves and then out of your hands. Heat travels from high temperature source to a low temperature source until everything is the same temperature. Actually, heat pushes to cold, but it doesn't change the fact cold still sucks.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234