Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 18650's For Flashlight

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Best 18650's For Flashlight

For output but also stand up to recoil from a rifle.

What are you guys running?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hmm..

I always just ran some Trustfires or ebay-brand I bought.

I use an intellicharger and monitor voltages and such. But, I didn't notice to much difference between batteries. I would say anywhere from 5-10% differences in run time at the most. (ETA: I wish I could provide something more scientific, but this type of question is probably better suited for CandlePowerForum. At least for the in depth run time specifics and such. I imagine this question has been answered a lot over there.)

I have never had a battery succumb to recoil. But, I have only shot one 500 round class with a light. So, maybe I am not the best to provide input.

I found I had a couple cheap 1" flashlight bodies get ruined for not being up to the task. But never a battery issue.

ETA:After ruining a couple bodies, I got a decent light for a Christmas present from a company a worked for I few years back:
    Rigid Industries 800LM Halo

I find my Surefire G2X Pro is much better for EDC, but I like the 800 lumen light on my 16" rifle. It gives great throw with a good splash and is durable.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 01-22-18 at 15:13.

Feedback Score

Best 18650's For Flashlight

Lots of good info on candlepower forums and others. Panasonic 3400 MAH protected button tops. Hunted them for 3 years. Durable. Get a good charger.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Hmm..
    (ETA: I wish I could provide something more scientific, but this type of question is probably better suited for CandlePowerForum. At least for the in depth run time specifics and such. I imagine this question has been answered a lot over there.)
    Before I started this thread I googled it. There is a thread on the CPF. It is way too technical for a dumb ass like me. It also only discussed ratings and output levels. I figured on here I would get some durability info.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I use these in my Surefires and Malkoffs. They've been fine.

https://www.orbtronic.com/18650-prot...ah-lithium-ion

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use Obtronic 3400mAh and 3500mAh batteries. Another forum had someone who tested dozens of battery brands for true capacity, over-charge/discharge protection, discharge shutoff threshold, heat protection, recharge performance, etc. Basically the Panasonic based button-top batteries with the Seiko/Sanyo protection circuit consistently performed as rated and outperformed most others. The batteries with ____Fire (SunFire, HyperFire, etc) were usually not true capacity and not protected properly. One issue is that there are many fake Panasonics out there. That is one reason I buy Orbtronics because they are a trusted name that uses real Panasonics with the Japanese circuits and excellent wrapper.

The 3400mAh is the best value for $/mAh.

I run these in Fenix HL60R headlamps and PD32 handhelds and they last for a very long time.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, any Panasonic based battery should be fine. Just make sure the one you get has the proper continuous discharge rating that can handle your particular light. I run a Panasonic NCR18650BD (grey). It is only a 3200mAh, but will handle a 10 amp continuous discharge.

The Orbtronics battery is a Panasonic NCR18650B. It is listed on the Orbtronis site as having a 6.8Ah continuous rating. It is actually 3400Mah and a 4.87A continuous discharge rating. If that works for you (most unmodded lights will work with this just fine), then it is a good choice.

Here is a site that independently tests cells and has their capacity and discharge ratings up front.

https://batterybro.com/collections/18650-battery

Also, some lights do not work well with flat tops and need button top style batteries.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 01-23-18 at 08:15. Reason: added info

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    I use Obtronic 3400mAh and 3500mAh batteries. Another forum had someone who tested dozens of battery brands for true capacity, over-charge/discharge protection, discharge shutoff threshold, heat protection, recharge performance, etc. Basically the Panasonic based button-top batteries with the Seiko/Sanyo protection circuit consistently performed as rated and outperformed most others. The batteries with ____Fire (SunFire, HyperFire, etc) were usually not true capacity and not protected properly. One issue is that there are many fake Panasonics out there. That is one reason I buy Orbtronics because they are a trusted name that uses real Panasonics with the Japanese circuits and excellent wrapper.

The 3400mAh is the best value for $/mAh.

I run these in Fenix HL60R headlamps and PD32 handhelds and they last for a very long time.
    This. No ___fire anything. Orbtronic are my go-to batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Also, some lights do not work well with flat tops and need button top style batteries.
    And note that flat tops lack the protection circuit. Some lights may have their own protection circuit, and some chargers also have heat/over charge/discharge protection. But many lights and chargers do not. As Tesla and others found out, 18650 batteries can be quite entertaining if not protected properly during use and charging. Li-ion needs to be handled much more carefully in this regard than NiMH or Lithium-polymer. A single 18650 3400mAh battery has about the same energy as 6 Enloop AA batteries. Flat tops are much cheaper, but then make sure your devices and chargers have complete protection for heat, over-discharge, over-charge.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I think the best way to go is simply to ask the light maker what brand to use, and specifically if those Panasonics are good to go.

I have a Zebralight that's designed to take unprotected 18650s, so that's what I use to get the output and runtime spec'd by the manufacturer. Just gotta be careful not to mix them up with the batteries for my other lights, haha.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast