Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 13.7" Midlength?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    Came across this in another 13.7" thread:
    https://adcofirearms.com/shop/catego...es/kac-spacer/

Do you need to worry about the muzzle device having enough purchase on the barrel threads if its being pinned and welded? Just curious how large of a spacer can be used.
    That spacer would work too. I've used those to pin standard A2 flash hiders on 14.5's. It's a little overkill for a FH in the 2.7" range.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For those interested, the 3 prong warcomp is the same length as the 249 saker. Looks like it should work with the BEM solid washer.

Feedback Score
    So, the Dead Air flash hider will work. BUT you have to use basically all the provided shims. It comes with a thick one, a bunch of mediums and one very thin. I measured to the bolt face with a plastic rod that measures exactly 16. Using just about all the shims provided, I'm a hair past 16 OAL

https://imageshack.com/i/poXBX6XSj
    https://imageshack.com/i/pmhdhsHVj
    https://imageshack.com/i/pmxm6wOBj
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by msnyder0609; 02-21-18 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msnyder0609 View Post
    That spacer would work too. I've used those to pin standard A2 flash hiders on 14.5's. It's a little overkill for a FH in the 2.7" range.
    That's what I will be rolling with.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're willing to sacrifice over 2 inches of barrel length and a significant amount of velocity why not just consider say a 11.5" sbr'd gun for example? I'm just curious because you're not really gaining much ballistically compared to a shorty, but you're giving up a decent amount from a full length carbine. IMO it would be better to have a short upper and a full length upper to serve dedicated roles instead of kind of doing each with just one in between. Unless you're just doing it to avoid the NFA, in which case truck on brotha.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by labeef View Post
    Unless you're just doing it to avoid the NFA, in which case truck on brotha.

^ This. I already have a few SBR'd shorties. This would be deemed a "full length" with the shortest possible barrel length that would allow it when pinned.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To the question about the gas port size, I measured my Noveske 13.7" CL at roughly 0.086" before I assembled it a year or two ago. I run it with an SLR adj gas block so I can't really comment on whether it runs okay in stock form.

Have been super happy running it suppressed (SF RC 1) and unsuppressed with the SLR though.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I have a 13.7 track barrel build with a BE Myers 249F I got from Weapon Outfitters. I confirmed its over 16" when I got it back from them. They timed it with a prong at 12 o'clock. Great folks who do clean work. Anyway, I know the question came up "why go with 13.7" when your almost at 11.5". The answer? You get like 95% of the bennifit of a 11.5 SBR without the tax stamp:

11.5" with Silencerco adapter, 13.7"/249F, 16.1"/A2:

I'm a believer in having multiple guns. If you just had the ability for one AR, I think a strong argument could be made for a 13.7". Velocity loss over a 16"? Who cares? If you need to reach out over 400 yards grab a bigger caliber. Mine currently has a A5H0. Still have to try it with some heavier buffers but even with the H0 recoil isn't bad at all, its a 223 for goodness sakes. Shoots like a carbine 16" with a H2 and a A2 FH.

3 shots at 100yards prone with bipod and scope:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    I have a 13.7 track barrel build with a BE Myers 249F I got from Weapon Outfitters. I confirmed its over 16" when I got it back from them. They timed it with a prong at 12 o'clock. Great folks who do clean work. Anyway, I know the question came up "why go with 13.7" when your almost at 11.5". The answer? You get like 95% of the bennifit of a 11.5 SBR without the tax stamp:

11.5" with Silencerco adapter, 13.7"/249F, 16.1"/A2:

I'm a believer in having multiple guns. If you just had the ability for one AR, I think a strong argument could be made for a 13.7". Velocity loss over a 16"? Who cares? If you need to reach out over 400 yards grab a bigger caliber. Mine currently has a A5H0. Still have to try it with some heavier buffers but even with the H0 recoil isn't bad at all, its a 223 for goodness sakes. Shoots like a carbine 16" with a H2 and a A2 FH.

3 shots at 100yards prone with bipod and scope:
    I agree, but why not just run 16" barrel with no muzzle device? Its the same length as 13.7/14.5 pinned guns and your 16" are all usable barrel. I think you could make a strong case that most muzzle devices are not needed for a 556 AR, they just look cool.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by labeef View Post
    I agree, but why not just run 16" barrel with no muzzle device? Its the same length as 13.7/14.5 pinned guns and your 16" are all usable barrel. I think you could make a strong case that most muzzle devices are not needed for a 556 AR, they just look cool.

Are you being funny/ironic? Can't tell if your serious.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast