Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 13.7" Midlength?

Feedback Score

13.7" Midlength?

My google-fu has turned up a couple answer to my question but not all. So i'm looking to build a new upper and for some reason I've been having an itch for a 13.7" setup. A couple companies have been noted to making a 13.7" carbine length barrel, but all I could turn up with a 13.7" midlength was Noveske. Now I do know that this isn't a very common barrel length but I wanted to give it a shot. My main question is there enough difference between a carbine length and midlength in this configuration to matter? I was wanting to give the softer recoiling midlength a go. My only option for a midlength is the Noveske(which is a bit spendy) or getting a 14.5 cut down. It will probably be suppressed most of the time but my main purpose for it is to use it whenever I don't feel like bringing my suppressor out. Anybody have any experience with one?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Personal experience no, but the owner of TRex Arms uses a 13.7 scar, 13.7 mcx, and a 13.7 BCM mid length and has no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubaderb View Post
    My google-fu has turned up a couple answer to my question but not all. So i'm looking to build a new upper and for some reason I've been having an itch for a 13.7" setup. A couple companies have been noted to making a 13.7" carbine length barrel, but all I could turn up with a 13.7" midlength was Noveske. Now I do know that this isn't a very common barrel length but I wanted to give it a shot. My main question is there enough difference between a carbine length and midlength in this configuration to matter? I was wanting to give the softer recoiling midlength a go. My only option for a midlength is the Noveske(which is a bit spendy) or getting a 14.5 cut down. It will probably be suppressed most of the time but my main purpose for it is to use it whenever I don't feel like bringing my suppressor out. Anybody have any experience with one?
    Theres a reason why the noveske comes with a perm attached flaming pig and it not just to redirect blast...even suppressed, Im not sure its enough to mimic the backpressure of a flaming pig to make a 13.7 mid reliable.

Feedback Score
    Can one really tell the difference between 13.7" and 14.5" without some sort of device that measures recoil intensity and/or a tape measure? Presumably there would be a small velocity difference but would it be enough to statistically matter?

I'm pretty new to AR's and while I know a jump from say 16" to 20" is significant is a 3/4" change also significant?
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a 13.7 mid Noveske barrel. I wish I knew the gas port size.

It has been 100% reliable unsuppressed (not that that info is surprising to anyone) using Federal XM193 5.56 NATO 55gr ammo.

Suppressed I have had weird issues (none of which I think are the barrel, or gas systems fault) one issue was failures to extract when suppressed, the other issue was after that failure to extract, the bolt carrier would try to pickup another round and feed it into the previously spent casing still in the chamber. This is only using Federal XM193 5.56 NATO 55gr ammo suppressed, and happened at least once per magazine. I have also blown out 2 primers on the same ammo in the course of maybe 400rnds.

I have since added a BCM extractor upgrade with the black buffer, and the O-ring left in. I have also acquired a H3 buffer to replace the H2 buffer currently in the rifle. (using a springco blue spring) On top of that, I have picked up some quality Hornady 5.56 NATO 62gr "Black" ammo to conduct my test/tune with.

I am hoping that the extractor upgrade fixes the failure to extract issue (which may have really been my only issue), but a bunch of guys on these forums recommended a H3 buffer for my setup, so I picked one up to throw in it and see how well everything works together suppressed/unsuppressed. The real test will be if it can reliable run on Federal XM193...I have a few thousand rounds of it.

I thought weapon outfitters offered a 13.7" mid length barrel?
    Last edited by Grip; 01-23-18 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post

It has been 100% reliable unsuppressed (not that that info is surprising to anyone) using Federal XM193 5.56 NATO 55gr ammo.

Suppressed I have had weird issues (none of which I think are the barrel, or gas systems fault) one issue was failures to extract when suppressed, the other issue was after that failure to extract, the bolt carrier would try to pickup another round and feed it into the previously spent casing still in the chamber. This is only using Federal XM193 5.56 NATO 55gr ammo suppressed, and happened at least once per magazine. I have also blown out 2 primers on the same ammo in the course of maybe 400rnds.

I have since added a BCM extractor upgrade with the black buffer, and the O-ring left in. I have also acquired a H3 buffer to replace the H2 buffer currently in the rifle. (using a springco blue spring) On top of that, I have picked up some quality Hornady 5.56 NATO 62gr "Black" ammo to conduct my test/tune with.

I am hoping that the extractor upgrade fixes the failure to extract issue (which may have really been my only issue), but a bunch of guys on these forums recommended a H3 buffer for my setup, so I picked one up to throw in it and see how well everything works together suppressed/unsuppressed. The real test will be if it can reliable run on Federal XM193...I have a few thousand rounds of it.

Out of curiosity, what muzzle device do you use for it to be a 16in

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dylank0723 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what muzzle device do you use for it to be a 16in

Its an SBR.

But you can pin B.E. Meyers flash hider to make it 16.1" OAL....there might be other muzzle devices long enough to pin.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Theres a reason why the noveske comes with a perm attached flaming pig and it not just to redirect blast...even suppressed, Im not sure its enough to mimic the backpressure of a flaming pig to make a 13.7 mid reliable.
    One other reason is that a pinned KX5 brings the 13.7" barrel up to 16".

Quote Originally Posted by Ubaderb View Post
    The 13.7 mid is a tiny bit shorter than ideal for normal unsuppressed use, but nothing to really worry about.

There are 12.5" mids out there that reportedly run well.

The 13.7 should actually be great for mixed suppressed use, especially if cut down from a 14.5 or 16" mid with no port modifications.
    Last edited by Clint; 01-29-18 at 06:46.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dylank0723 View Post
    Personal experience no, but the owner of TRex Arms uses a 13.7 scar, 13.7 mcx, and a 13.7 BCM mid length and has no issues

I've probably seen 100's of pictures of those and completely forgot about them. Only thing of note is I don't think I've seen a picture of them suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    Can one really tell the difference between 13.7" and 14.5" without some sort of device that measures recoil intensity and/or a tape measure? Presumably there would be a small velocity difference but would it be enough to statistically matter?

I'm pretty new to AR's and while I know a jump from say 16" to 20" is significant is a 3/4" change also significant?
    That's the main reason I'm asking. Is it even worth it going with a midlength when I can just stick with a carbine gas system. I threw in the softer recoil part because I wanted to try out a midlength considering I've only had carbine guns. There is a company that does a 12.5" midlength so it MAY be possible that there is a benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post

I know to get everything properly running its all about the gas port size. Man reason for me starting this thread was to find out if this was a finicky setup that I should stay away from. I'm wanting 100% reliability suppressed/unsuppressed. My main training ammo is Wolf Gold with some steel case sprinkled throughout. Weapon Outfitters currently has a Ballistic Advantage 13.7" carbine and the Noveske you have.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I will report back in this thread after I get to test/tune my rifle with the extractor upgrade, and H3 buffer install. I was supposed to shoot it this past weekend, but instead the fiancé and mother in law wanted to check out wedding venue's on the day I had planned to go shooting.

I have a feeling it will run reliably suppressed and non suppressed. (it was very very close, with an H2 buffer, and a springco blue shooting federal xm193)

Next time I decide to unpin my gas block, I will measure the gas port size. I would love to know what it is.

Maybe give Noveske a call and see if they will share that info? I do not see this as a finicky setup at all. I never once experienced a malfunction with this setup unsuppressed.
    Last edited by Grip; 01-23-18 at 14:33.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast