Thread: Coated sizing die

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Coated sizing die

I was wondering if any company makes a coated sizing die. It seems it would be a good idea to have an NP3, nickel boron, or nitrided coating inside the die. This would slick things up considerably ,make cleaning easier and might alleviate the need to lube the cases.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Dillon's carbide dies are slick. However, I've never really had any issues with standard Stainless sizing dies.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've had more than a few 9mm cases stuck over the years. I'm considering sending some dies out to have them coated

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’d be surprised if you could get away with no lube, considering the relatively tight tolerances and metal-to-metal contact. What dies are you using in 9mm? I’ve only using Hornady and am surprised at the relative lack of lube needed. Never a stuck case with with the homemade Dillon lube of alcohol and lanolin.

Your NP3 option is interesting. I’ve always seen it marketed as “self-lubricating” but have never tried it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I've had more than a few 9mm cases stuck over the years. I'm considering sending some dies out to have them coated
    9mm is definitely my stickiest resizing. I rarely load it, but put I've gone to using case lube. I had a Dillon die, but it wouldn't squeeze FC brass down enough, so I have a plain SS Lee die. It's sticky for sure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I believe Hornady makes a 9 millimeter sizing die with a nitrided ring. I may give one of those to try. I thought I could get away without using any Case Lube on some nickel cases last night. Managed to get one stuck in my Lee die. Getting tired of it

Feedback Score
    I use Hornady custom dies for my pistol reloading, the sizer die has the carbide/nitride ring in the bottom of the die bore, I have had no problems with stuck cased in any of the handgun calibers I reload for. I do put a VERY light dab of Imperial case wax/lube on the carbide ring { I just barely touch the lube and wipe the throat of the ring with my finger} every 5 or so cases just to make the sizing easier. Hope this helps

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    carbide is the way to go if you dont want to mess with lube. I like the LEE die, and don't mind tumbling off lube. I load pistol maybe once a year though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    9mm is definitely my stickiest resizing. I rarely load it, but put I've gone to using case lube. I had a Dillon die, but it wouldn't squeeze FC brass down enough, so I have a plain SS Lee die. It's sticky for sure.
    You must have been doing something wrong or had a bad die. I've sized every kind of headstamp there is in 9MM with my Dillon die and I've never had any issues. And I've loaded and fired thousands of rounds.