Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential ATF bump stock ban opens a can of worms

Feedback Score
    Bump stocks are today's low-hanging fruit.

Like the articles pointed out: what is it tomorrow?

Standard capacity feeding devices sure enhance the rate of fire, don't they? All you have to do is stretch it a little bit. It's not that much of a stretch to think that a 30-round mag is tomorrow's "machine gun" if the regulations are worded deliberately vaguely.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    My biggest issue is the fact that ATF "regulations" fly in the face of our legislative process. Congress is supposed to create law and the executive branch, under which the ATF falls as a law enforcement agency, is only supposed to enforce said laws.

If Congress can't pass a ban, no such ban need exist.
    Take note of who's running the show here fellas...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Still, don't give any ground. None. Not one inch.
    Hey Doc., I'm for this./\above...
    I mean, what's next, are they going to go after our Pants that have Belt loops? HUMMM, Next thing to ban
    You guys ever Try or Seen others, who use their belt loops to do the samething as the Bump firestock?

FWIW: I have no interests, ever, in buying one of these even IF I could, I work too hard for my $$$ to piss my rounds away like that.

My Vote>>>----->NOT 1 INCH!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    My biggest issue is the fact that ATF "regulations" fly in the face of our legislative process. Congress is supposed to create law and the executive branch, under which the ATF falls as a law enforcement agency, is only supposed to enforce said laws.

If Congress can't pass a ban, no such ban need exist.
    But they use "regulation" as a loophole to the legislative process. I would imagine, theoretically, they could institute a blanket ban on all privately owned firearms simply by redefining them under already-agreed upon "reasonable" bans. Basically like this:

-The entirety of guns can't be banned per the 2nd Amendment as well as DC v. Heller, McDonald v. Chicago, etc.
    -Court decisions, Hughes Amendment, NFA of 34, GCA of 68, and others, however, rule that machine guns can be regulated, and even banned completely.
    -The ATF gets to define what is a machine gun and what is not.
    -They change the definition of "machine gun" to include ALL firearms: Full auto, semi auto, revolver, manually operated, breach loaded single shot, black powder revolvers, muzzle loaded rifles, paintball guns, airsoft guns, cap guns, red rubber training guns, sandwiches bit into the shape of a gun...hell, you want to ban bows and arrows? Redefine them as machine guns.
    -As soon as some company comes up with a new mechanism that doesn't fall under the ban, immediately add that to the definition.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 01-23-18 at 15:45.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Mass Bumpstock ban off to slow start.

So the bumpstock ban in Massachusetts is so far not netting many bumpstocks. If you recall, there is no compensation for those who are turning their bumpstocks in.
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/02/0...achusetts-ban/

The main reason I'm posting this is due to this quote right here, given by one of the antis involved.

Rosenthal says that should not be an excuse to hold on to an illegal device. “These are devices that are designed to kill a lot of people quickly, and I’m not sure that we ought to be compensating people for giving up these devices that never should have been purchased in the first place,” he said.
    I just found this line so unbelievably infuriating I had to call attention to it.
    Regardless of whether this guy thinks they shouldn't have been purchased in the first place, they were purchased, legally.
    His quote seems to imply that those who purchased bumpstocks with their own money are such morally deficient people for having done so, that they deserve to be denied the monetary value of their confiscated property as some sort of punishment.

It goes without saying that I don't share his views on bumpstocks themselves (I just think they are stupid, but hey, spend your money on what you want), but his advocacy for the government being able to just take citizens' property without compensation is equally loathesome to me.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Personally I find it more interested that many people haven't already grasped the fact that these people think like this....
    Of course you should give everything up unquestionably and without thought of recompense, of course you should be ashamed of yourself for owning something or thinking a certain way if it's been deemed "offensive" or "dangerous" by your moral betters. If you own a gun, you deserve to get shot, if you voted "R" you deserve to get beaten up by packs of hooligans....and on and on.
    Hence that quote-
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

The original plan has, and always will be "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in..."
    No buy-backs, compensations, grandfather-clauses or additions to a restricted format. Never forget that.
    [/choir_preaching_v.02.05.018]

I hope those are the only ones anyone ever turns in.
    BFYTW.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think we need to realize that the part of the 5th Amendment that says "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;" just doesn't exist in places like MA, NJ, NY, CT, MD and CA
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Democracy was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I think we need to realize that the part of the 5th Amendment that says "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;" just doesn't exist in places like MA, NJ, NY, CT, MD and CA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Laws only affect the law abiding.

We are all pretty much on the honor system.

There are plenty of select fire weapons coming up from south of the border.

What is Mr. Rosenthal gonna do about that? Pass another law?

I have no real dog in it in the cosmic sense, but if Mr. Rosenthal feels so passionate about it. I challenge him to personally deprive others of their property.

I'll even lend him my vest and a pistol.

Have fun, Mr. Rosenthal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Democracy was a mistake.
    It was. We aren't a Democracy. We are a Republic. As such we elect people who pull these stunts. Because most people are lazy and dont consider who they vote for.

We get the government we deserve.

This is a good case for term limits.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast