Using once fired brass
    All same type 124gr fmj but labeled 38 super
    About 20% of rounds won't plunk into the chamber
    I've backed off the crimp
    Noticed that the bad rounds the projectile are tilted slightly
    I'm using the round nose plug
    I did use a 115gr blazer to set oal

Feedback Score
    Get a Lyman type "M" die expander, this will help start the bullets straight in the case.

Seat and crimp in separate operations.

Feedback Score
    Some things to check:

1) Is your shellplate flexing? (Does it need tightened?)
    2) Is your press indexing correctly and lining up with the dies?
    3) I'd 2nd the M die suggestion but be sure it's not going to bulge the case if you have a case that's pretty full of powder. You may have to grind the end off.
    4) Before I went to a 650 I had an issue getting enough flare with the hornday setup. Check to make sure you aren't pushing the case all the way into the square shoulder of the expander and bulging your case. I don't remember what caliber I had to watch that on and it probably doesn't apply but it's something to check.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The lyman M die is a good tip
    I took a look at the set up and seems I'm putting too much bell in the casing which causes the bullet to wobble and more likely to seat off center
    I reduced the bell to minimum and seems it's now 1 out of 12 rounds that won't plunk 100% and that one plunked about 90%

Feedback Score
    Normal case mouth flare can allow the bullet to tip when seating. And the type "M" expander expands the case mouth to the point you can start the bullet "straight" with your fingers.

NOTE, the type "M" expander does note flare the case mouth as much as pictured below.

Below a better illustration of the type "M" expander, and normally I do not have to flare the case mouth.

Below a Lyman type "M" expander for the .223, you have .003 neck tension and the .226 diameter section allows the bullet to start straight in the case mouth.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks I ordered a Lyman m die

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Do you have any good pics of the loaded rounds? I've loaded a gazillion rounds of pistol and never owned an M die. I don't think the M die is bad... I've just never used one.

Are the rounds tight going all the way in? Or do they simply stop short? The only chambering problem I've had has been seating depth.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If the bullet is a loose fit in the seater plug it can cause the bullet to tilt when seating.

If crimping and seating in the operation this can also cause problems.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can see crimping and seating being a problem. That's just a bad idea on face value. I know my blaster 45 and 9 seats somewhat crooked. But it's never created chambering problems.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I can see crimping and seating being a problem. That's just a bad idea on face value. I know my blaster 45 and 9 seats somewhat crooked. But it's never created chambering problems.
    I did not know that. Do you think I'll still have issues even when using the M die since the RCBS does the taper and crimp in one die?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast