Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm frustrated with Hornady locknload

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    I did not know that. Do you think I'll still have issues even when using the M die since the RCBS does the taper and crimp in one die?
    I don't know. I've only used Dillon Die sets in pistol. I just don't know how you can tune seating depth AND bell removal (crimp) on one die. I've never tried that die. But I've read about it giving guys problems a few times over the years.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    All same type 124gr fmj but labeled 38 super
    The bullets are labeled 38 super? Surely not the cases you are using.

In the early days, 38 super used .357/.358 bullets. If these are the (slightly) bigger super bullets, could this be causing casewall bulge?

It's not a big difference, but if you have a tighter chamber, they are jacketed bullets, and accordingly there is bulge in the cases from seating, it could cause your issue.

I shot super in commanders in the 80s before it was cool. Even with super cases, it was hard to find bullets that loaded well because of this issue. At the time the commercial loadings and the reloading recommendations were largely revolver bullets. And most 9mm bullets were round-nose .355. Or some very early jhp.

So it was a challenge until the later half of the 80s when better bullet selection became available.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just got the Lyman M die in and loaded up 30+ rounds. All plunked 100% except for one that plunked 98%
    Thanks for the help

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    loaded up the rest of 100 rounds and 5 rounds total did not plunk 100% but I believe that was before I backed off the M die a bit more
    vast improvement over the 20% bad round rate I was getting before - thanks for the help

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't know. I've only used Dillon Die sets in pistol. I just don't know how you can tune seating depth AND bell removal (crimp) on one die. I've never tried that die. But I've read about it giving guys problems a few times over the years.
    The seating depth is tuned with the center of the die plug. The RCBS kit comes with a round nose plug and a flat point plug.
    The bell crimp is tuned by the outer shell of the die.

Feedback Score
    All same type 124gr fmj but labeled 38 super
    Did you measure the diameter to make sure they're 0.355" and not 0.356"?

I've backed off the crimp
    This statement shows a fundamental misunderstanding of taper crimping. The purpose of a taper crimp is to remove the remaining flare from the belling step. You should turn the taper crimp die down enough to remove the flare and not more. Too little and you'll have some flare remaining which isn't good for feeding. Too much and you're crushing the case. Definitely don't seat and crimp in the same step. You're asking for trouble.

BTW, it sounds to me like your initial problem was simply not flaring the cases enough to begin with. You should be able to start them in by hand (not down in the case, but just enough for the case to put tension on the base of the bullet), invert the case and have them stay put. If they fall out when you do this, then you're not belling the case enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12