Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Figuring out a new Faxon barrel

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Mark does not single hand load any 556 ammo and produces MOA ammo all day every day. That 111 ES is a bit out there. Black Hills produces 2800fps plus out of a 20 inch gun, the Gold Standard! You may bump a little, but go slow to make sure its safe. How big are the squares on your target ? or should I just ask, what size is that group? What primers are you running?

PB

PB
    Completely missed your post before! One inch grid, 100 yards, so just a little over .5 MOA. Primers were the Rem 71/2 BR. I also have some Winchester SR and some cheapo Sellier & Bellot SR to use. Was out today and had some similar groups with a 5 round flyer. Was a little warmer plus I put a light crimp on and was getting around 2750. At this point, my vertical dispersion has been pretty good but have been dealing with some horizontal stringing. I was thinking of trying 23.2gr but I am a little concerned about the summer and how much the velocity will rise from low 70's to 100*F plus temps.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Completely missed your post before! One inch grid, 100 yards, so just a little over .5 MOA. Primers were the Rem 71/2 BR. I also have some Winchester SR and some cheapo Sellier & Bellot SR to use. Was out today and had some similar groups with a 5 round flyer. Was a little warmer plus I put a light crimp on and was getting around 2750. At this point, my vertical dispersion has been pretty good but have been dealing with some horizontal stringing. I was thinking of trying 23.2gr but I am a little concerned about the summer and how much the velocity will rise from low 70's to 100*F plus temps.
    2750 at .5 MOA, WIN WIN Chicken dinner. I would call that good. I'm pretty good with MOA, I'm real good at around .5. I always consider I'm at .25 MOA part of the problem.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I know Douglas claims that it isn't necessary to lap barrels, but most match barrels are lapped. You'd think they would run at least one lap through it to knock off the burrs.

Glad it's turned around for you.

ETA: Oh, and when it comes to 1 1/2 MOA guns, you can win a lot of matches shooting from your hands with a 1 1/2 MOA gun. So, that's not bad.
    Last edited by HelloLarry; 02-08-18 at 07:10.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloLarry View Post
    ETA: Oh, and when it comes to 1 1/2 MOA guns, you can win a lot of matches shooting from your hands with a 1 1/2 MOA gun. So, that's not bad.
    We are spoiled Divas. We expect everything we touch to shoot 1/2 MOA.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the information
    I was considering this but it seems this faxon 1/8 twist does not group reliably on most loads over 55gr

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    I was considering this but it seems this faxon 1/8 twist does not group reliably on most loads over 55gr
    I'd guess it's more of the MacDonald's straw profile than the twist.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    My FAXON 18" rifle gas GUNNER went through a working in period, though way less drastic (Gunner by FAXON is government profile behind the gas block and pencil in front) with 70+ grainers. Several hundred rounds in, it shot them great. Specifically, Hornady 70gr GMX TAP and IMI 77gr Razor OTM.

It wears a primary Arms red dot, but I have been able to put both 55gr m193 and 70gr TAP onto an IPSC swinger at a verified 500 yards without issue, from mag monopod prone.

The 18" Gunner is 1:8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Update range report. Took the Faxon pencil out Sunday. We were doing mostly big gun long range stuff. I ran it out to 750 popping steel along the way. Mark grabbed it and drilled a clean sub moa group. It just stuns me to see a barrel go 5 MOA to clean sub moa.

I’m going to run more groups next week, along with a Noveske that has shot so so that I did a big copper cleaning. That Melonite process must be the cause and effect to such a long break in process.

Just pretty amazing, pretty pleased this rifle came together.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nice.
    Glad it straightened out and shoots PB.
    Have a BA pencil barrel that did similar; from 3 MOA to 1 but it took a couple hundred rds.
    It is also a nitride barrel.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    After all this drama, we took the barrel out after all this and it shot all over the board again. So Faxon sent me an RMA and Im going to let them figure it out. My love affair on again off again has been a bit much, but I hope they make good. Or I hope when they test, it has a bad day.

I appreciate their efforts regardless.

PB

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast