Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me - Taylor's & Co Smoke Wagon

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That '73 Winchester clone looks darned nice MM. It'd be historically accurate with your SAA.

You might also consider their '92 clone.
    It was designed around a revolver (size) cartridge (.44-40) and would be a nice companion to your .357 revolver.
    The '92 was sort of a "mini '86" with the dual locking lugs. They're scaled down and pretty smooth old guns.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    You might also consider their '92 clone.
    It was designed around a revolver (size) cartridge (.44-40) and would be a nice companion to your .357 revolver.
    The '92 was sort of a "mini '86" with the dual locking lugs. They're scaled down and pretty smooth old guns.
    I'll certainly look into those as well - thank you for the recommendation.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Good sweet lord.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Now you need a lever action .357. They are a lot of fun

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've taken the Smoke Wagon out a couple of times now and really enjoy shooting it. My son, who's 10, and does not like my other centerfire pistols yet (hands too small and still doesn't like the recoil and sound) liked shooting .38's through it. He knows how to load and shoot it, unload etc.

Went to the range yesterday with my boy, and afterwards stopped by a friend's place of work, who I hadn't seen in a while. I told him that I had just started my son shooting, and that my latest purchase was the Smoke Wagon, which is a real departure for me, and talked about how I'm developing an appreciation for older firearms now. My son chimed in that he liked shooting the Smoke Wagon, upon which my friend got up and said 'hold on, I'll be right back'. He comes back with a small pistol case and says 'This is for your son. I've had it sitting in the safe for years and now someone can enjoy it.'

I unzipped the case and was blown away to find a Colt Oklahoma Diamond Jubilee Frontier Scout SAA, 1965 issue (only 1343 were made). Honestly I'm still overwhelmed by the gift, and my son is super-excited to shoot it. 'It's like your Smoke Wagon!' he exclaimed when he saw it. I thought I'd share pics of it here - it's a beaut. It's got the black barrel, frame and ejector with all other parts gold plated. Rosewood grips with gold medallion.

Daddy's gun and son's gun

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    You have really, really nice friends.

What a kind gift for your son. I hope it brings you many enjoyable hours together.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    How cool is that!

Good friend indeed!
    I bet your son was/is ecstatic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What kind of accuracy are you getting from your Smoke Wagon? Your friend was REALLY nice to do that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    What kind of accuracy are you getting from your Smoke Wagon? Your friend was REALLY nice to do that.
    At the indoor range at 15 yards about 3-4" offhand, which is what I normally consider decent (for me). Did not shoot it supported.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    How cool is that!
    Good friend indeed!
    I bet your son was/is ecstatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You have really, really nice friends.

What a kind gift for your son. I hope it brings you many enjoyable hours together.
    I definitely consider myself blessed. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Nice SSA! Planning on getting a new revolver myself soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12