Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAR-15 A1 Service Rifle* or Brownells AR-15-A1?

Feedback Score

FAR-15 A1 Service Rifle* or Brownells AR-15-A1?

carried M-16 A1 in Army 1983 -1986 have a couple of M-4 ,but just not the same as carrying my old A1 ,looking for something like what i carried 35 years ago ,which is better ,reliablility wise ? ,not worried if some small things differant ,but what about Fultons screwed front site? how differant is that and what problems would there be than from the original spring and pin?

Feedback Score

FAR-15 A1 Service Rifle* or Brownells AR-15-A1?

Quote Originally Posted by remshooter View Post
    which is better ,reliablility wise
    Since the Brownell’s rifle isn’t available yet, you’re probably going to have to wait for answers. Their rifle parts are usually of good quality, and it’s likely these will be as well, but anybody that tells you how reliable their completed rifles are will be talking out their butt and not from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was waiting to see when someone would pose this question. The FAR-15 is a decent rifle as is the new Brownells line of ARs. Quite frankly, as a huge retro builder and collector, I would rather buy the Brownells. The reason is that they are made with good products, of which most I am familiar with. They are reasonably priced as well. Although they are not exactly correct models (incorrect port doors on them and the XM177E2 model also has a fiberlite stock instead of the aluminum stock), they are still much closer than the FAR-15 is and will be. Brownells has put a lot of time and resources into making these rifles and they have done well in my opinion. I look for Brownells to address the port door issue at some point. There are some repro A1 type port doors available, but there are no repro 601/602 type port doors available as yet. To me, it is a matter of time before Brownells will be offering correct repro port doors for the various models.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post

There are some repro A1 type port doors available, but there are no repro 601/602 type port doors available as yet. To me, it is a matter of time before Brownells will be offering correct repro port doors for the various models.
    I can't imagine Brownell's would miss these details. It seems completely contradictory that they'd clone triangular charging handles and non-FA bolt carriers as well as less obvious parts like front sight posts and then completely ignore the ejection port.

I am hoping that the production AR10 clones will have a more correct repro front sight base.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    brownells is a better buy. I met and talked to the guy who was in charge of their retro line back at the NRA-AM ATL17. He is big into the retro game and funny thing is he (and possibly everyone knows) Renegade04 has the most extensive collection of correct retro guns. More than likely they are listening to our comments on here and will address these issues with correctness. Especially since Colt was a flop... But the Brownells receivers are Nodak Spud castings but are cut and finished in house. Noticed that difference between my Brownells bought a1 upper in black and my NDS XM16E1 lower in black has a different hue of black. Also the rear pin seems tighter in the rear then my other build. But for $100 less than I spend on my last build I would buy the Brownells.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    they was in stock ,while thinking about it for a day ,now ready to order ,they are now out of stock ,and no back order

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This should help put ya'll in a "retro" frame of mind:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...tet-offensive/
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    This should help put ya'll in a "retro" frame of mind:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...tet-offensive/
    I am always in a "retro" frame of mind.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    got my Brownells M16A1 clone. It is more black then dark gray. The chrome lined bore is hard to see but it is there. It’s not done like a normal GI chromelined chamber. You have to see it to understand. Other then that, it is awesome. It is very well done. Nice furniture. I actually love it. Would buy it again.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    indianalex01 ...out of curiosity ,have you ever handled a real Colt -A1? how close is this ,i mean the feel of the grip and handgaurds compared to the original ,Do it feel sturdy,and same slick feel? and everything else about like original ,? dont care about the ejection port cover not being the same ,carried an M-16A1 in Army in early 80's, want one like it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast