Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FAR-15 A1 Service Rifle* or Brownells AR-15-A1?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by remshooter View Post
    indianalex01 ...out of curiosity ,have you ever handled a real Colt -A1? how close is this ,i mean the feel of the grip and handgaurds compared to the original ,Do it feel sturdy,and same slick feel? and everything else about like original ,? dont care about the ejection port cover not being the same ,carried an M-16A1 in Army in early 80's, want one like it
    Handguards are great. Grip doesn’t feel like an original one. Looks good but isn’t made out of the same material. I am nit picking though. Rifle is well built. I dig it. I did 27 in the Corps and early on in my career I played with A1’s. I have also played with a few recently. You won’t be Disappointed
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Handguards are great. Grip doesn’t feel like an original one. Looks good but isn’t made out of the same material. I am nit picking though. Rifle is well built. I dig it. I did 27 in the Corps and early on in my career I played with A1’s. I have also played with a few recently. You won’t be Disappointed
    yeah different material but still looks good. here is their pistol grip on real furniture2DCB7F4A-5AEC-4CD2-B7F9-C3F8C6558323.jpg
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I never had to run thru' the jungle with an M16A1 during my time in the service, but it had been over 40 years since I last handled and fired one. I was a young man then.
    When I put my clone together, it really brought me up short. Wow, just wow.
    Can't imagine how one must feel to you men who have been to the two way range with one in your hands. May God love you all.
    Moon
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 12-18-18 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I mentioned early in this thread that Brownells' BRN-16A1 did not have the correct type of port door. Well, they now have correct A1 type port doors available. Not sure if they have started installing them on the BRN-16A1 yet. That would be a good question to ask them. Thus far, the BRN-16A1 is the best reproduction of the early M16A1 available for the money. The Colt M16A1 Reissue would be the other, but unreasonably high priced.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I mentioned early in this thread that Brownells' BRN-16A1 did not have the correct type of port door. Well, they now have correct A1 type port doors available. Not sure if they have started installing them on the BRN-16A1 yet. That would be a good question to ask them. Thus far, the BRN-16A1 is the best reproduction of the early M16A1 available for the money. The Colt M16A1 Reissue would be the other, but unreasonably high priced.
    Not to drift the thread too much (and forgive me if it has been mentioned) but what about the Troy XM177?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Not to drift the thread too much (and forgive me if it has been mentioned) but what about the Troy XM177?

Lots of praise for the Troy XM177E2 and GAU-5/A/A. I wish I had one of them. Pricing is very reasonable. Although they are not 100% correct, Troy has paid attention to details in several places. It does not take much to bring them up to par by changing a couple small parts. Additionally, proceeds from their sales go towards their corresponding charitable organizations.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Lots of praise for the Troy XM177E2 and GAU-5/A/A. I wish I had one of them. Pricing is very reasonable. Although they are not 100% correct, Troy has paid attention to details in several places. It does not take much to bring them up to par by changing a couple small parts. Additionally, proceeds from their sales go towards their corresponding charitable organizations.
    Colt has a retro XM as well. Price is up there.

I guess for the money the only game(s) in town are the Brownell's or the Troy.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Where are the Colts priced currently? A clean SP1 is crowding $2k, a fact likely not missed by the folks at Hartford. It is my understanding that another shop actually built them.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Where are the Colts priced currently? A clean SP1 is crowding $2k, a fact likely not missed by the folks at Hartford. It is my understanding that another shop actually built them.
    Moon
    Retail on the Colt M16A1 Reissue is $2499. I have heard of some selling for just over $2K. Tombstone Tactical has them available for order for $2233.35. These were not built by Colt. Colt contracted to US Ordnance in McCarran, Nevada to build these. Originally, Colt contacted US Armament, but there were unable to fit the project into their work load, so US Armament got Colt in touch with US Ordnance.

SP1 prices are all over the board depending on the year it was manufactured and condition. Late models can be had for anywhere from $1K to just under $2K depending on condition and whether they have the original box and accessories. Earlier SP1s can be as high as around $5K. Frankly, if you are looking for a retro rifle, either invest in a Colt SP1, buy the Brownells BRN-16A1, or build a nice retro AR yourself. Any one of these options will cost you between $1K and $2K depending on your choice.

Feedback Score
    Actually, I went with plan 'C' some years ago, and built an M16A1 clone with NoDak lower, and NOS Colt upper. Got on that train at just the right time.
    My question was idle speculation, and also because a buddy snagged a really clean SP1 at a show several years ago for less than $1k.
    It would seem to me that the retro builders prices aren't entirely out of hand, especially for old vets who want such things and don't spend any time here.
    Thnx,
    Moon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast