Thread: New Hoyt Hunting Rig. My new "Arrow Slinger"

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)

New Hoyt Hunting Rig. My new "Arrow Slinger"

Since 2010 I have been shooting a Hoty Carbon Matrix Plus 34" 70lb compound bow as my main go-to hunting rig. I have had a few other Hoyt and Bear bows off and on that were given to me. I passed all those along to friends in need, and only have kept the Carbon Matrix. So..... It was time for a new bow, and put the old Hoyt Carbon into backup status.

So here is the new bow:

Hoyt 2017 Carbon Defiant in Ridge Reaper. 28-30 draw length, 70lb draw weight
    Spot Hogg Grinder 5 pin .010 with Micro Adjust
    Ripcord Ace Drop Away Rest
    Hoyt Carbon Stabilizer
    Hoyt Carbon Quiver
    New Dozen of Easton Carbon Injexion Deep 6 330 arrows

Still waiting to put a peep and D loop on it, as I borrowed away my bow press last week. Soon as I get that back, I'll be getting some arrows down range and let everyone know how they fly. I am super excited to get this thing out.

Pics..

Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Hell yea! Did you go with the 31” or 34”?
    Im running a very similar setup on a CD34.

I took the grip off and wrapped it with hockey tape - huge improvement IMO. Be sure to post group pics ince you get it broke in!

Also, the ripcord top bar can probably come off. The sight holds the arrow from coming out of the rest (mine does, yours looks like it will as well).
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-28-18 at 20:46.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Hell yea! Did you go with the 31” or 34”?
    Im running a very similar setup on a CD34.

I took the grip off and wrapped it with hockey tape - huge improvement IMO. Be sure to post group pics ince you get it broke in!

Also, the ripcord top bar can probably come off. The sight holds the arrow from coming out of the rest (mine does, yours looks like it will as well).
    Thanks! It's the 31. With some of the tight brush I navigate through elk hunting, I wanted a little smaller bow this go round. I'll have to check that out with this ripcord ace. I have the ripcord code red and on that one, I have to keep the top bar on. We'll see on the Ace.

I was shooting my 2010 carbon really, really well and had a really hard time putting it to the side. I just put another set of stings on it and a new spothogg sight. So I probably shouldn't have bought a new bow, but couldn't pass up the deal I got on the 2017.

We'll see what kind of groups I can get with this thing. I still have to tune it and set up everything on it. I will be shooting through paper at a few yards to tune it and get everything flying how I like. Work will be getting in the way of this for a few weeks as I'm traveling, but I at least have some time before hunting season.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am over here drooling.

I haven't had a good chance to get into true bow and arrow yet.

Setup a crossbow rig last year to hunt limited land (within 500 feet of a house on the parcel I was using to hunt for a week or two out of last year's season during firearms).

I really want to setup an archery rig, it would give me so much more time to hunt during the archery season. Well worth it in the long run. Watching Craigslist this year for a decent deal to popup when funds are there. We will just have to see.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I am over here drooling.

I haven't had a good chance to get into true bow and arrow yet.

Setup a crossbow rig last year to hunt limited land (within 500 feet of a house on the parcel I was using to hunt for a week or two out of last year's season during firearms).

I really want to setup an archery rig, it would give me so much more time to hunt during the archery season. Well worth it in the long run. Watching Craigslist this year for a decent deal to popup when funds are there. We will just have to see.
    There are a lot of good bows out.
    If your wont shoot it often, you can skimp a little. Used hoyts are always a pretty safe bet, IMO.

Jwknutson, i still remember walking out the shop with mine - still get that feeling every time i pick it up. I switched from an 04 vipertec. Your switch wont ba as dramatic, but i doubt youll miss the old one.

Ive been shooting about 50arrows a week and its still hitting “X”s. It was tuned upon purchase about 10mo ago.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-29-18 at 22:47.