Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Injured by a ND, Wanted to Share Thoughts

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Super glad your alright. Scary story for sure, and one that I will keep in mind. Takes balls to own up to making a mistake on a forum filled with mostly men. Like you, I thinks it's important to remind folks that these things happen fairly often unfortunately. I know of another story just like yours except dude shot himself a little lower in the actual kneecap.

Thankfully it wasn't a .223, or dare I say a .308. I tell folks that handgun wounds are very often survivable, even head wounds...however, getting shot with a rifle is a whole different level of trauma from what I've learned.

Get better pal, and we all make mistakes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Thankfully it wasn't a .223, or dare I say a .308. I tell folks that handgun wounds are very often survivable, even head wounds...however, getting shot with a rifle is a whole different level of trauma from what I've learned.
    And I'm glad it wasn't what was originally in the chamber - a Federal 230gr HST+P! Like many do with HD shotguns and slugs and 00, I alternate those with a Fiocchi 230grFMJ (because they seem to be loaded a touch hotter). I am glad I didn't have to learn the terminal ballistics first-hand (or first-leg, lol) of what one of those would do to me!

As far as levels of trauma go, though, you're right. Even as classically Hollywood as my injury is, it's still nothing to be taken lightly. I'm glad I can still move and feel my foot, whereas a rifle might've required surgery at the least, up to amputation.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Scary story and I hope recover is speedy and complete. Let’s face it, the more you’re around Firearms the higher your chances for an ND. I personally had to replace my brothers Tv as I decided to punch a .22 sized hole through while dry firing what I thought was an empty pistol...
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Absentmindedness. I was watching the movie, not looking at where I was pointing the pistol. Even dumber that it was a movie I'd seen a bunch.
    Yea that’s unfortunate. FWIW if you have now or later develop any acute sleep disorders it’s probable that they may stem from the trauma associated with your injury. CPAP therapy oddly enough has been shown to help correct some of these over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    FWIW if you have now or later develop any acute sleep disorders it’s probable that they may stem from the trauma associated with your injury. CPAP therapy oddly enough has been shown to help correct some of these over time.
    Haven't noticed any yet... though granted, my caffeine intake is now nil, and I'm using muscle groups differently just to get around. I'll be mindful of that, though...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wow, that’s a rough deal. Don’t take this wrong, but I bet you are glad you had fmj loaded up. I told my wife (RN) your story and she was impressed with that medics IV skills on the move!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Wow, that’s a rough deal. Don’t take this wrong, but I bet you are glad you had fmj loaded up. I told my wife (RN) your story and she was impressed with that medics IV skills on the move!
    You have to get the large bore IVs in while enroute. If the medical director finds out that transport was delayed due to IV attempts, yelling will occur at the next QI. If the veins are flat and not easily cannulated, time to break out the IO drill....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    You have to get the large bore IVs in while enroute. If the medical director finds out that transport was delayed due to IV attempts, yelling will occur at the next QI...
    Yup. Been there, done that.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast