Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Injured by a ND, Wanted to Share Thoughts

Feedback Score
    I listen to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk and he has always talked about being a "safety fanatic" when it comes to handling guns. My first gun was a Glock so I've always been acutely aware of what can happen, even with experienced professionals. The DEA agent that shot him self for example, people poke fun but I'd bet that guy is actually pretty competent.

Thank you sharing and I wish you well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    If the veins are flat and not easily cannulated, time to break out the IO drill....
    Oh dear god no. I mean I understand why it's necessary, but...

Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    I did the same kind of thing several years ago. In my truck, distracted and for some reason I racked the slide before I dropped the mag. What saved me was I pointed the gun in a safe direction (the passenger floor board) before I pulled the trigger. The windows were up and I remember the smoke and my ears screeching while I was trying to figure out what happened. The Bronco II was running before I pulled the trigger and wasn't after the ND. Turns out the 115 gr Corbon round went straight thru the on board computed which for some reason was located in the passenger side wheel well. My mechanic never let me live that one down. ND can happen to anyone. I had mine and it turned out to be a cheap lesson.
    Semper Fi, Tres Deuce. Rest In Peace GM, MG, JK, CC. KIA May 2, 2008 - Freedom has a taste the protected will never know at a price they cannot understand.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Another safety lesson learned: Why I no longer put my gun on the coffee table or nightstand. I was extremely tired and set a timer for an hour nap. When it beeped I picked it up to shut off. Except I was dreaming that. Instead I picked up my pistol, brought it to my head while trying to hit the timer button with the other hand. Woke up to it going off a couple inches from my face. Powder burns on my off hand index finger. Bullet went through the wall and back of the refrigerator, through a glass shelf, bounced off the door and landed in the egg tray.

The worst part was knowing my loved ones would think I had committed suicide out of despair. It made me a lot less casual about picking up any gun. No vitals hit on the fridge. A little white duct tape and she still chills.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You have to be, and remain, a student of the game.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    Another safety lesson learned: Why I no longer put my gun on the coffee table or nightstand. I was extremely tired and set a timer for an hour nap. When it beeped I picked it up to shut off. Except I was dreaming that. Instead I picked up my pistol, brought it to my head while trying to hit the timer button with the other hand. Woke up to it going off a couple inches from my face. Powder burns on my off hand index finger. Bullet went through the wall and back of the refrigerator, through a glass shelf, bounced off the door and landed in the egg tray.

The worst part was knowing my loved ones would think I had committed suicide out of despair. It made me a lot less casual about picking up any gun. No vitals hit on the fridge. A little white duct tape and she still chills.
    Why not have just kept it in a holster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    It was in a Sticky. Slides out easily. You can do a lot of manipulation in your sleep while you are dreaming of doing something else. As a kid mom watched me pee in the wastebasket, turn off the light and go back to bed. All while I dreamt I was in the bathroom.
    Last edited by uffdaphil; 01-28-18 at 12:50.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It was in a Sticky. Slides out easily. You can do a lot of manipulation in your sleep while you are dreaming of doing something else. As a kid mom watched me pee in the wastebasket, turn off the light and go back to bed. All while I dreamt I was in the bathroom.
    Then maybe you should have just kept it locked up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

This is disconcerting. Interested in what safety steps you've implemented to try and prevent "sleep shooting"(?)
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    @Dionysusigma As anyone in the military recalls, there's no bad time for a safety talk. I'm glad you posted this. Not glad of your injury except that it could have been arterial, it could have been worse, it could have been someone else.

There's that saying "Familiarity breeds contempt." I believe that holds true but in an unconscious manner - contempt for safety. Not in the form of despising safety rules, but contempt in the form of disrespecting them and not giving them the attention they are due. I've done this. I find myself getting more comfortable about where I leave my firearm laying or place it in my truck, if it's not on my person. I have to tighten myself up or sometimes my wife will bust my chops. In any case I'm grateful as I am for you posting this.

So what's going to change? Are you going to put any other safety protocols in place to reduce the potential for this happening? I guess you you could say, "Don't break all four of the rules for firearm safety." But interested in hearing what your many "replays" have helped come up with.

Get well.

RTT
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast