Thread: Silencerco Omega Direct Thread Issue

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Silencerco Omega Direct Thread Issue

I'm using my Omega in direct thread mode on my 300 BLK SBR, and the issue I'm having is that often times when I go to remove the can from the rifle, rather than the entire can unscrewing from the barrel, the body of the can unscrews itself from the direct thread mount, and I then have to remove the direct thread mount by itself from the barrel, and reassemble the can. I guess the good news is the can doesn't seem to be unscrewing itself from the rifle while in use. I was just wondering if this is a common issue, and if there is anything I can do (i.e. lubricate threads, etc), to help prevent this from happening. I am tightening the direct thread mount onto the can as tight as I can by hand with the tool provided, and hand tightening the can onto the barrel fairly tight without overdoing it.

Feedback Score
    Mine did that when it was new when using the direct thread mount on my bolt rifle, I used two drops of blue loctite and it stayed assembled. Keeping the carbon build up on the barrel threads minimal helps also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I was having trouble with my KeyMo mount coming off. It was recommended to me to use two spanner wrenches to torque it down harder. If you look at the tools on SilencerCo’s website the multi tool used to have another spanner wrench, but mine did not. I emailed SilencerCo about buying another spanner wrench only and they ended up sending me another set for free.

Edit: I’m not sure what the direct thread mount loooks like, but maybe if it’s like the end cap you can use the end cap wrench and spanner wrench at the same time to torque it down.
    Last edited by jackblack73; 01-28-18 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Keep the contact surfaces clean (barrel threads & DT mount) by using a wire brush. Also the suppressor threads and DT mount use some cleaner (brake cleaner or lacquer thinner) on a cotton swab to remove any oil or carbon in those areas as well...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Silencerco recommended a small amount of red loctite or rockset on the direct thread mount. I’ve never used either, any recommendations on what might be better?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    Silencerco recommended a small amount of red loctite or rockset on the direct thread mount. I’ve never used either, any recommendations on what might be better?
    Red loctite requires ~500F heat to remove
    Rocksett can either be broken loose with hand tools (but won't fail if it gets hot), or needs to be soaked in water. Some will dip it in boiling water, some with hold it in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Of the two, I'd use a little Rocksett.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I'm using my Omega in direct thread mode on my 300 BLK SBR, and the issue I'm having is that often times when I go to remove the can from the rifle, rather than the entire can unscrewing from the barrel, the body of the can unscrews itself from the direct thread mount, and I then have to remove the direct thread mount by itself from the barrel, and reassemble the can. I guess the good news is the can doesn't seem to be unscrewing itself from the rifle while in use. I was just wondering if this is a common issue, and if there is anything I can do (i.e. lubricate threads, etc), to help prevent this from happening. I am tightening the direct thread mount onto the can as tight as I can by hand with the tool provided, and hand tightening the can onto the barrel fairly tight without overdoing it.
    How about some anti seize on your barrel threads?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    That happens with my omega9k, but I don't remove it very often. When I do remove it for cleaning or whatever, I keep an adjustable wrench handy. If I planned on removing it often, I'd use an ASR mount.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    How about some anti seize on your barrel threads?
    ISilencerco recommended that as well. My only hesitation is that it might make it easier for the can to work itself loose while firing, which it currently is not.