Thread: Third AR

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Third AR

First of all I’d like to thank the admins, mods, members and sponsors of this site for the wealth of information, knowledge and experience that I’ve been able to tap into

A brief history: I’m relatively new to guns and the awareness of the politics that surround the culture. Got my first handgun in February of 2011, got some basic safety/handling lessons at a local range, and got my CHL/LTC shortly after. I’ve carried every day without fail ever since. I had never seriously considered purchasing an AR, but one day while picking up some 9mm ammo at Walmart I saw a magazine featuring a RRA left handed AR on the cover. Being a southpaw this piqued my interest. I took the mag home with my box of ammo and became more intrigued. Being as naive as I was, I found a local dealer and bought a RRA LEF-T “Elite Operator.” I went to a local range and got an hour lesson on basic handling of the rifle. Put a Troy V-tac rail on it, got an Aimpoint M3, a dozen mags, a bunch of ammo, a sling, Magpul stock and grip, etc. Only shot about 500 rounds through it without any malfunctions over the next year. Loved the rifle.

In May of 2012 I discovered M4C and started reading, a lot. Among other things, I realized spare parts for a dedicated left handed rifle were difficult or impossible to find. Last I checked, RRA does not offer BCGs or bolts for their LEF-T models. A few years ago I was able to get a Stag left handed bolt that functions with my RRA, and now Stag offer a complete BCG, but…never mind. Armed with the knowledge I had picked up from this site, I went on to purchase my second AR in May of 2015. I knew I wanted another mid length gas system because my RRA was mid length, and having long arms, etc. Apparently I didn’t listen to the advice because I went with an M&P Magpul edition. It’s been a great range gun so far. No malfunctions with about 1K rounds through it, but I cringe at the money I spent on it when I could have got a Colt, BCM, etc. Anyway, got another dozen mags, another Comp M3 and love it. I did get some more informal training from a local instructor involving basic handling and reloads, but we never covered clearing malfunctions.

In the meantime my awareness of the politics surrounding the 2A has grown exponentially. I was 26 and clueless when the 94 AWB happened and never knew it lapsed ten years later. I really only started waking up leading up to O’s reelection and of course the atrocity that occurred shortly after. I am aware of the Unintended Consequences that arbitrary/unjust laws can have on a Free Nation. I don’t get out to the range that often and my level of training is severely lacking, but I intend to remedy that going forward.

All that being said, I hope this post hasn’t strayed outside the realm of ARGD. Here are the details on my new rifle. For the sake of continuity, many of the components like safety selector, grip and light mounts are the same as I have on my other rifles.

BCM complete lower (Mod 0 stock, PNT)
    BCM complete upper 16” mid length hammer forged, FSB, BCM comp mod 0 (Thanks G&R)
    BCM BCG ion bonded (Thanks G&R)
    Raptor ambi charging handle
    Magpul MOE M-Lok handguard
    Magpul MOE + grip
    Larue BUIS (non-QD)
    BAD-ASS ambi selector
    Norgon ambi-catch
    Strike Industries enhanced bolt catch
    IWC M-Lok light mount (Streamlight PolytacX)
    IWC QD sockets
    Vickers padded sling

For good measure I also picked up another ten pmags and a case of 5.56 (Thanks G&R)

Now I’m saving up for an H2 or MRO, I still haven’t decided.

Once again, thanks to all for sharing your experience and knowledge.
    Honor Necessity

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    Great to hear your AR15's have had no malfunctions. Last year I bought a Colt LE6920 and still haven't had the chance to shoot it. I'm hoping its reliable as that is very important to me.
    A gun that’s never fired doesn’t need to be reliable.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    Great to hear your AR15's have had no malfunctions. Last year I bought a Colt LE6920 and still haven't had the chance to shoot it. I'm hoping its reliable as that is very important to me.
    Dude, go shoot your AR already, it's been months.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    To the OP. Looks like you've been learning a lot and it's showing in your choice of equipment. Like all of us keep learning, be patient and learn to handle and shoot your rifles well.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    A gun that’s never fired doesn’t need to be reliable.
    Ha! Quote of the day.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Keeping it simple, with decent parts is key. Now just practice.