Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugged releases Micro30 db numbers

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Anything Super Sonic is not hearing safe and I don't believe I have ever looked at dB numbers before I bought a suppressor. Unless your shooting subs in 300blk then maybe I would look at a dB number. Signature reduction, POA/POI, blow back, repeatability, length, weight, materials, and attachment method have been my drivers.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    First, I own the Surge 762, the Obsidian 45, and the Oculus 22 - I’m a Rugged Suppressor fan boy. Secondly, I know the Surge 762 is not hearing safe because the the shots ring my ears when I try shooting 7.62 & 5.56 thru the can causing pain. It’s is much quieter than without the can but the port pop and shot going off together is not hearing safe. That is how I know.

The Obsidian 45 and Oculus 22 are great cans and hearing safe. The Obsidian is hearing safe with 9mm subs in long or short config, .45s in long config but I don’t like shooting .45s without earpro. Even though .45s are inherently sub-sonic they are still quit loud for my taste, hearing safe but not pleasantly. The Oculus 22 is hearing safe with all 22Lr depending on config.

Rugged makes great cans but the dB levels cited above for the center fire rifle calibers are BS. The Military Arms Channel has a decent vid on YouTube regarding the Surge 762 that doesn’t give the at ear performance any where near the numbers quoted above. My own ears tell me that the Surge 762 is not hearing safe with .308 or 5.56. It is probably hearing safe with sub-sonic .300 Blk but I don’t have a .300 Blk to confirm.

If using specific sub-sonic hand loaded cartridges maybe it is but the average schmo doesn’t have access to hand rolled sub-sonic centerfire rifle cartridges and those are very expensive to buy for plinking.

“Hearing safe” has a meaning. Your ears ringing is not the definition.
    People pay a lot of money for calibrated equipment for a reason.

Edit, saw your post below. Im not advocating anything, just saying ears dont tell you everything. Just because your ears dont ring doesnt mean its hearing safe.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-02-18 at 08:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    I’m going to call BS for those at ear dB levels. I have the Surge 762 and while effective it is not quite hearing safe. The micro is just a smaller version of the surge.
    Without knowing the host firearm, ammo used, etc., they are entirely possible.

Feedback Score
    I own three of their cans and enjoy them. I stand corrected, please feel free to shoot your centerfire rifles with the Micro 30......I SAID, FEEL FREE TO SHOOT WITHOUT EARPRO WITH THIS CAN. ITS HEARING SAFE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Without knowing the host firearm, ammo used, etc., they are entirely possible.
    Yes, with those caveats especially.

If shot on a bolt action, the .308 ear levels are actually rather high.

But for a .223 or .308 DI operated AR type rifle, they would be in the usual range for left ear, shooting from right shouder.

Note on the MAC channel on Youtube, all props for the tests that he does, but he is not using a SPL equipment which is up to MIL-STD 1474D or E version standards.

You may or may not get the right readings with equipment that does not meet proper rise time or sampling rate specs.

So any other good points or commentry from testing is negated by using the wrong equipment.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    As general advise/recommendation to my U.S. colleagues, this is how we show the levels in our catalog, rather straight forward.

Once we have been able to shoot samples shown in the catalogs with our B&K PULSE system, will of course update them.

http://www.aseutra.fi/assets/files/A...t_products.pdf ( Page 14 )

http://www.aseutra.fi/assets/files/p...20products.pdf ( Page 6 )

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors
    I find this very useful. Thanks for sharing! It would be great if US based silencer manufacturers adopted this straightforward and consistent assessment methodology.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    I find this very useful. Thanks for sharing! It would be great if US based silencer manufacturers adopted this straightforward and consistent assessment methodology.
    Yes, nothing really special about. SPL meter positions based on the MIL-STD 1474D and E = 15 cm from the shooters ear, on a line towards the major noise source.

We test at the right ear also due the fact that it is usually the louder side due to the ejection port etc.

1 m side of the muzzle due to being the "adopted industry standard" from the actual MIL-STD transducer positions, been used for a long time.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen

Feedback Score
    So ... anyone have One? I'm thinking I need to use Silencer Shop's Single Shot Trust on one of these.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slateman View Post
    So ... anyone have One? I'm thinking I need to use Silencer Shop's Single Shot Trust on one of these.
    Mine came in Saturday. I'll get some time behind it next to a few other .30cal cans and report back. I won't however have identical hosts for comparison.

Less then 3 weeks from when I submitted fingerprints to delivered at dealer.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-05-18 at 21:43.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Mine came in Saturday. I'll get some time behind it next to a few other .30cal cans and report back. I won't however have identical hosts for comparison.

Less then 3 weeks from when I submitted fingerprints to delivered at dealer.
    Really looking forward to your comments! In advance, thank you.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast