Thread: AR Parts - Roll Pins

Feedback Score

AR Parts - Roll Pins

I added a trigger guard to a Colt 6920 OEM about a year ago and when installing the roll pin a small amount of material was shaved off the outside of the hole on the receiver ear. I took my time and used a wheeler trigger guard pin pusher (designed for this process) along with lubricant. I ordered a small number of Colt trigger guard pins from Brownells and they all look similar, no flared ends, etc. I used a birchwood casey touchup pen but want to prevent shaving off material going forward. I have quality pin holders & roll pin punches and am going to use them next time to get the pin started as I feel the pusher tool “may” have contributed to the issue when starting the pin.

So I have some lowers I want to assemble and would like to avoid having the pins shave any material as much as can be avoided. I know one solution may be to use pliers to shape the pins or sand a small bevel on the pin.

I have worked with (removed and installed) roll pins on HK pistols and never had an issue. The factory HK roll pins are spiral and have a slight bevel.

I have searched and found posts where maybe spikes or daniel defense LPK at one time or another used spiral roll pins. Then later in the same posts others state their kits by said manufacturer did not come with spiral roll pins. I believe they were said to be pins made by KNS although I do not see them available on their website.

I have since purchased stainless steel spiral roll pins on eBay where the seller purchased in bulk and then sold in small quantities. I have also read that there may be concerns with using stainless pins in aluminum due to galvanic corrosion although it seems carbon steel would have the same issue if it were a concern.

My question is whether anyone knows of a vendor selling AR spiral pins (without a LPK) that are phosphate or nitride?

I have ordered an HK416 pin from Brownells (on backorder) to see if their AR pattern pins are going to be like their USP pins, spiral, beveled, and hopefully nitride finished like the USP pins. I also have to find out if all their HK416/MR556 pins are the same dimensional specs as the AR/M4. I am confident HK would have wanted to maintain mil spec dimensions where possible to help with military contracts.

So does anyone know of a good source for oxide or nitrided spiral roll pins and/or whether stainless pins should be a concern? I have been searching google for spiral roll pins sold specifically for AR builds without any luck. I want the results to look professional as I will enjoy the building process more when getting the same results I expect from a talented gunsmith. I chose M4C to post the question as I feel this board has emphasis on quality
    and will have helpful replies vs operators explaining scratches are good to go without further insight. I know there is no harm in material being shaved off but if I can do a better job that is more important than my immediate need for building the lowers.

Thanks and I hope to have chosen the proper category for the post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Chamfer/bevel the 90 degree lead edge before tapping through frame.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Chamfer/bevel the 90 degree lead edge before tapping through frame.
    I did the lazy approach and squeezed the end a little.

I used the ALG lower parts kit which has a bronzed colored roll pin. I didn't look too much into it, but possibly a softer metal.