Thread: Monarch brass ammunition

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Monarch brass ammunition

Hello everyone. I'm new here, hopefully this is in the right place.

I was in academy yesterday and they had their monarch brass cased soft point .223 on sale for $6.99 per 20. I only bought one box as I didn't know how it was going to perform. Does anyone have experience with this ammunition good or bad? I think the sale ends tomorrow so I may go back to pick up a few more boxes. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe Monarch is just repackaged ammo. Likely made by PPU or Fiocchi

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The only experience with Monarch in brass case was some 8X57 I bought years ago. I believe it was before Academy owned the name as I bought the stuff from a LGS probably 15 years before we had an Academy Sports anywhere close to the area. Stuff was Greek, went bang but the cases were garbage, off center flash holes and case neck splits on first firing.

Everything in the Monarch name I'v bought recently has been steel cased.

Feedback Score
    Monarch Brass 223 fmj has been my go to for the entire whopping 2 years I've had an AR. No probs running it. Hotter than Wolf Gold 55 and red box Fed 62. Has shot as well or better than cheapo Hornady and Fed of several diff flavors, until this morning. Tuned an adj gas block. It actually gained accuracy, but was overshadowed by some Hornady. It has pretty much been 2 minute at 100yds for me. Will keep buying it for blammo....

Just finished a lot of it for reloading. Reasonable weight consistency. Flash holes same. Primer pockets were deep enough that my uniformer didn't cut...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Pretty sure it's ppu. I've been shooting the Academy house brand Monarch brass case for 2-3 years, I pick it up when its cheap.

My experience with the 223 marked 55 fmj and their 9mm has all been good.

Lately wolf gold 55 fmj has been a better deal in quantity, but at the right price I'd have no concerns buying the Monarch brass cased.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. My thinking was with this being a soft point it could be good for varmit hunting, plinking or defense. But i wouldn't get it for anything if it was prone to misfiring, squibs etc.

Several people have also mentioned Wolf Gold. I have been wanting to try that but can't source it locally. All the deals I have found online are in large quantities (500-1K). I would prefer to get a smaller quantity (say 40-60 rounds) to try before I commit to a large purchase. But if you can find it on a per box sale, the shipping is usually greater then the cost of the items.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Finally made it to the range today. Ran this along with several other flavors. Grouped really well, locked bolt back on last round and had consistent ejection.

I think I'll be purchasing more of these.