Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Razor GenII or Nightforce ATACR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Any reason you did not add a Kahles 624i SKMR3 to the list? I have found that short of the TT525p that the Kahles is superior to both the NF and Razor. I have all 4 optics I have mentioned here.. It would be my pick. And I think most would agree that have used said above. Snipers Hide would be the place I would poke around on for more options on high quality glass.

Those are the two I have personally handled. I’ll look into the Kahles though.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I have seen the Razor Gen IIs do incredible things, work incredibly well, and be durable as hell. Think uncased Ruger RPR in the back of a Wrangler for about 3 hours on rough offroad terrain (whoop-dees, washboard, shit falling all over the damn place) and still make a first round hit at 1,200 yards. I know Geissele loves the Gen2 Razors. I know they are even being used in HSLD environments.

But the answer here is clear.

ATACR

C-Grunt, do not be the guy who passes up the Mercedes-Benz S Class for the fully loaded Hyundai Genesis.
    Weren't you the guy that traded in the Benz for a V6 Mustang???? LOL

Just kidding... I get what you are saying.

If I can get the ATACR F1 Tremor3 for the price I was told (a little lower than standard mil/le price) then I will.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score

Thread needed a pic

I made a terrible mistake. I had my upper removed from the lower for cleaning. The upper was placed on a tall barstool "just for a moment" and like a moron I bumped it and it fell onto tile floor. It landed directly on the ATACR's elevation turret, which was slightly damaged. I took it shooting. Zero didn't change and it tracks fine. Aside from a tiny dent on the turret it is fine. I've been real happy with this scope(4-16x32). I can see better through it than my 20-60x 60mm Bausch and Lomb spotting scope, which is a middle of the road circa 1990 scope, comparable to a modern $300 leupold. That's a weird comparison, but it is neat to me.

Feedback Score
    Not an ATACR but I have an NXS 3.5-15X50 that survived a 15’ fall out of a tree stand, landing on the elevation turret. That same fall was hard enough the plastic stock on my old Steyr SSG69 cracked half at the wrist.

Once a new stock was sourced and the rifle was back together the scope held zero. Tracks just fine to this day.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've used both (own the razor) and I'd recommend either as they have more in common than difference. Vortex has a great warranty (my razor has been fine), NF rarely requires the use of a warranty.

I'd decide based upon the reticle you decide is best for you. I've never used the Tremor3 specifically so I won't comment on it, but the older grid reticles work great in dusty environments when you can adjust from your previous misses very quickly.

That said, I prefer the standard christmas tree reticles.

The Kahles is lighter and slightly better glass than either of the aforementioned scopes to my eye, but I've heard they may not be as mechanically accurate. I've never owned a Kahles so I can't answer to that, but the glass is excellent and much lighter than the Razor or ATACR. SKMR3 is an excellent reticle. Like it more than my EBR-2C by a bit.

Having owned more than a few scopes, the Razor just works for me in every area I want it to as it's good to great in every area except weight.

Scopes are more than just turret feel, mechanical accuracy, and good glass (no offense to Frank Galli, but I disagree that there is little difference between glass these days, HUGE differences IMO). They have to work for you as a shooter and just like a pistol, what works well for others may not be as efficient for you and your needs.
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 02-08-18 at 14:33.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Weren't you the guy that traded in the Benz for a V6 Mustang???? LOL
    Which I then promptly returned... #Carmax
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a C529 on a 20" 5.56 that's built like a tank. I went Nightforce for the SFP milr reticle, .1 mil adj, and as F2S said the movement and zero stop are second to none in my limited experience. More scope than I need certainly but aging eyes and all it works for precise shots. Not seeing the benefit of FFP on precision, I'd rather have a consistent fine reticle and deal with the x4 and x2 conversions if need be if milling on 5.5 or 11 respectively. Weights are comparable, glass no idea I've not looked through an ATACR.
    Last edited by LMT/556; 02-19-18 at 16:59. Reason: Cred to F2S and conversion

Feedback Score
    I've run my Gen II RZR 4.5-27 extremely hard for years in PRS matches, local matches, hunting, etc. and it's an amazing optic for the money. I don't own an ATACR but have shot behind a few, and got the chance to spend some time behind the new 7-35 ATACR recently, and I have to say, i am very impressed with the NF ATACR scopes. I think you'll be well served with either scope.

I love my Gen II Rzr, but with cost being similar, i might go with the NF due to weight.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    My Razor (Gen 1 mind you) makes my rifle into a crew served weapon. The ATACR may help it feel more man portable.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I went looking at the ATACR for a lighter weight alternative and found this:
    ATACR 4-16x42 F1 Weight (ounces/grams) 30 oz/850g, only 1 oz lighter than my NXS™ 5.5-22×50 RIFLESCOPE @31 oz/879g...
    2.5x10x32(or x42) are 19 oz (I have the 32mm version)
    No free lunch here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast