Thread: I forgot about my First J-Frame... Kinda.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I forgot about my First J-Frame... Kinda.

So, I couldn't find any conversation about these anywhere, and I am not much of a revolver guy.

From what I know, which isn't a lot, it looks like this may be the 3rd Generation US Revolver Co made with Iver Johnson in early 1900s. About 1909 is when this generation supposedly started.

It seems to be .38 S&W (the Cylinder will hold a 9mm round perfectly, no, of course I have not tried a 9mm in this thing, it was suggested as the fastest way to determine .38 vs .32 with the unmarked guns.)

Predates the SSN requirements, but has one; still had a trigger "drop" safety that doesn't make me all that comforted as it's very easily tripped in the trigger guard.

I did forget that I got this revolver awhile back from a family member; she wasn't comfortable with it in the house after her baby-daddy left her and her kids with a bunch of his crap. It was just a project gun I got and tried to strip the already flaking nickel off of it. My plans were to do a strip, polishing, buffing, and blue it. I wanted to try and buff some of the rust/corrosion out of it.

Figured I got it for free, why not?

After figuring out the only way to remove the beastly nickel off this thing was electrolysis, I gave up. My stripping attempt didn't remove much at all, it only removed the lacquer layer above it, otherwise, the flaking it has is from the rust that was already on it when I got it.

The barrel and cylinders have zero rust. The timing seems to still be in good shape. No wobble in the cylinder when the trigger is right at the wall of the breaking point.

It's not purty, it's not that "High Shelf Quality", and it's certainly not a treasure piece. But, I wanted to share and see if anyone had any insight on this thing. I know it's in the sub $100 range unless they're in immaculate condition, definitely not worried about selling it. Should I shoot it? Or should I scientificully shoot it first with a vice and some string? I am open to some ideas and insight. Even if it's just a cool paperweight now.

Last edited by HeruMew; 02-05-18 at 15:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They're really not that expensive even in excellent condition. S&W are in the $200 range and Iver Johnson was a cheaper competitor. There were tons of these guns made. They were for the avg Joe.

If it's a 38SW you can shoot it assuming it's mechanically sound. 38SW is not high pressure. It's around 600 - 700fps and around 150 - 200 ft-lbs of energy. A 380 has more velocity and energy. The bullet is actually wider than a 9mm. It's actually .360 vs .355 of the typical 9mm

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 02-05-18 at 17:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Hopkins and Allen safety police in 38sw. It is a five shot break open revolver that has the worst trigger that I have experienced. Got to think that the cop who had to pull this back up piece in an emergency would rely upon adenaline to cycle the action and get it to fire.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    They're really not that expensive even in excellent condition. S&W are in the $200 range and Iver Johnson was a cheaper competitor. There were tons of these guns made. They were for the avg Joe.

If it's a 38SW you can shoot it assuming it's mechanically sound. 38SW is not high pressure. It's around 600 - 700fps and around 150 - 200 ft-lbs of energy. A 380 has more velocity and energy. The bullet is actually wider than a 9mm. It's actually .360 vs .355 of the typical 9mm

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    That was what I had heard, price wise anyways.

Thanks for the input, figure if I ever have an extra 30 bucks laying around, I will pick up a box of it and give it a try.

It's mechanically sound, it seems, just not in pretty shape.

But, for 109 years old, I guess I don't expect it to be for a cheap man's gun. Sad though, how it's kept up so well these years. The flip open extractor still operates and everything.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    I have a Hopkins and Allen safety police in 38sw. It is a five shot break open revolver that has the worst trigger that I have experienced. Got to think that the cop who had to pull this back up piece in an emergency would rely upon adenaline to cycle the action and get it to fire.
    Dang! I am glad to report that this trigger is lovely.

Awesome DA pull, I would assume about 10-12 pounds. The single action is crisp and clean.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Safety Police" on top strap. Just noticed cylinder is out of time.

Attachment 50324

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Damn, that looks like a really nice model. It locks at the break open a little differently.

I was kind of surprised to see this model has the rear sight built into the lock lever for the break open.