Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a non-battery reflex sight worth a darn?

Feedback Score

Is there a non-battery reflex sight worth a darn?

I've been doing some research into non-electronic reflex sights. I've looked into Meprolight M21, Trijicon RMR, Trijicon 1x42 reflex sight (and the related smaller one), and miscellaneous others.

It seems all of them have issues with reticle washout on light colored backgrounds, or when looking from a dark room into a bright outside.

When I tried one out on a bright sunny day, I thought the reticle was barely adequate compared to the blazing red dot on an Aimpoint or Trijicon MRO.

Is there such a thing as a tritium/fiber optic reflex sight that has a really strong reticle and doesn't suffer from the issues of washout?

Feedback Score
    Meprolight has a Polarizer & Flash Guard Kit that prevents wash-out. Google "M21-PFK".

Meprolight MOR sight is triple powered - LED, Fiber Optic & Tritium. It doesn't have wash-out problems.
    Last edited by mebiuspower; 02-06-18 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I really liked my Trijicon RX30 and RM04, but found the reticle on both of them too large. Didn't really have many issues with reticle washout, but it's definitely possible.
    The RX30 was nice with fixed iron sights because in the case of reticle washout, I only had to lower my cheek weld slightly in order to have iron sights at my disposal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    I really liked my Trijicon RX30 and RM04, but found the reticle on both of them too large. Didn't really have many issues with reticle washout, but it's definitely possible.
    The RX30 was nice with fixed iron sights because in the case of reticle washout, I only had to lower my cheek weld slightly in order to have iron sights at my disposal.
    Just wanted to echo the above. I have a trijcon ACOG reflex with orange Amber aiming point. I like how simple it is and does not require batteries. On bright days washout is a huge problem. This optic taught me the importance of fixed sight backups that are lower 1/3 cowitness. Use the reflex under most conditions. Once wash out occurs automatically drop down to the DD 1.5.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Just wanted to echo the above. I have a trijcon ACOG reflex with orange Amber aiming point. I like how simple it is and does not require batteries. On bright days washout is a huge problem. This optic taught me the importance of fixed sight backups that are lower 1/3 cowitness. Use the reflex under most conditions. Once wash out occurs automatically drop down to the DD 1.5.
    Herein lies my problem: I live in the desert southwest where bright sunny days are the norm. Honestly with a Trijicon reflex's amber reticle and targets nearly the color of the background it's hard to see both. I end up using the iron sights most of the time even with the reflex sight deployed.

The blazing red dot on my MRO at least makes the dot visible even if the target is still hard to see.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE my ACOG, but with the 3X magnification I don't have the time to invest in getting good at shooting with it at distances where the reticle and magnification are really justified.

As to variables: an RDS is still lighter weight and to my mind more user friendly. YMMV

What we need is a reflex sight that doesn't take batteries and has a blazing red dot in bright sunlight.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm looking at my Brownell's catalog and see "Trijicon ACOG Relex Sight" This is an "amber" red dot, so does this qualify? It works on tritium. There are several models--$500.-$600. with mount.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1x prism scopes have a regular black reticle without illumination turned on. On a very bright background I prefer a black reticle to a blazing bright dot.

Or try the 1.5x ACOG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    1x prism scopes have a regular black reticle without illumination turned on. On a very bright background I prefer a black reticle to a blazing bright dot.
    Not good for aiming into foliage or a "busy" background, though.

Or try the 1.5x ACOG.

IF they made this with decent eye relief, I'd be all over it. The one or two I tried needed an "eyeball to optic" cheek weld and I just can't do that wearing my prescription glasses.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-08-18 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Not good for aiming into foliage or a "busy" background, though.

=quote]Or try the 1.5x ACOG.

IF they made this with decent eye relief, I'd be all over it. The one or two I tried needed an "eyeball to optic" cheek weld and I just can't do that wearing my prescription glasses.[/QUOTE]

The 1.5 ACOGs have very generous eye relief
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    The 1.5 ACOGs have very generous eye relief
    I use the TA33 as my reference. How do they compare to the TA33?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast