Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a .223 bullet for handloads in an AR to use on Coyotes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Recommendations for a .223 bullet for handloads in an AR to use on Coyotes

As the title says, I am looking for recommendations on a bullet to use in my AR15 for Coyotes. I handload so just about any projectile is possible for use. I would like to hear what you prefer and why.
    The barrel is a 20" Faxon gunner profile with a 1:8" twist.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    At what range(s)? I try for long-range kills for the most part so if using a 5.56 AR I usually grab my SPR loaded with 77 gr SMK’s. Really almost any .22 caliber bullet over 50 grains will work well on coyotes if the ranges are not extreme as they are not heavily-built animals. Hornady V-Max’s and Sierra Blitzkings are popular.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    55 gr gamekings and 50-55 gr Vmax are good laser beams inside of 300 yards.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Many do not think the 55gr bullet weight is very accurate in the AR, but this is because most 55gr ammo is loaded with "just good enough" quality bullets for the military. Any Hornady, Sierra, Nosler bullet, including FMJ, in 50-55 gr will far out shoot M193 or other bulk loaded ammo. As Markm stated, under 300 yds you don't really NEED heavier bullets for varmints. Buy some bulk quantity VMAX and you have a very accurate and effective bullet at a savings over the 69-77 gr OTM/tipped target bulltets.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Completely forgot about the Gamekings. Those would be a great all-around option.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The GameKing is also available in a 65 grain weight. This is my standard all-purpose bullet for the AR.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the suggestions. Practical ranges around here are probably 300 yards or less unless something wanders in across a lake way out there (mid winter, 18"+ of ice, plenty of snow). I have a good load for Hornady 55gr FMJ that I was going to use, as well as 60gr Vmax, and Hornady 55gr soft points. I would assume the FMJ would do the least hide damage, followed by the soft points, then the Vmax expansion doing the most damage. I guess it comes down to which one the rifle shoots the best and how much tracking I'm willing to do.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It also depends on if you are trying to save the pelt. I know many trappers in the High Desert who kill yotes for the fur. They use fmj bullets...

Feedback Score
    In my state you are not allowed to shoot Coyotes with FMJ bullets. And for good reason too.

Some do not like to see animals suffer. A some don't like to take follow up shots. Some times you miss your follow up shot and the animal gets away wounded. This is poor technique.

I have had great success with Sierra #1390 55gr HPBT. If you have trigger discipline this bullet is a real killer. Its ogive is much closer the lands than many bullets which i think explains the stellar and, easy to achieve accuracy. Were i live there are many trees and pretty much no 300 yard shots. That is good because the down fall to this bullet is the ballistic coefficient. It has a steep taper that puts it into the rifling quick coupled with a massive size for caliber hollow point. You just can't have it all with physics.

They tried to help the bullet out in the wind with the boat tail design.

For open land shooting the 55 or 60 grain Vmax's can be made to shoot great for a fair price in bulk. An even sturdier constructed bullet is the Nosler BT (ballistic tip) in the 55-60 grain configuration. That one is of superior construction but a fella sure does pay for it too....

Anything works i suppose with proper shot placement. The fellas who take this sport seriously (myself included) shoot bullets designed specifically for the sport. Lots of 55 grain SP's out there are hard by design, because they are made for the 22-250 or 220 Swift velocities. Those bullets are best avoided at .223 velocities.

Try to get your 55 - 60 grain bullets going at 2850fps or better. That speed and hopefully above will be plenty lethal and have a trajectory that will be forgiving with a miscalculated range estimate.

Lots of fellas like 55 grain bullets, double base spherical powders with blitzkrieg velocities that make flat line trajectories. 50 yard zero and minimal hold over out to 250 with an 8-10 or so inch hold at your guesstimated 300 yard distance.

It feels really great to have that type of set up. It will keep you from wounding animals if you respect the wind velocity and direction.

Happy hunting!!

Feedback Score
    In my state you are not allowed to shoot Coyotes with FMJ bullets. And for good reason too.

Some do not like to see animals suffer. A some don't like to take follow up shots. Some times you miss your follow up shot and the animal gets away wounded. This is poor technique.

I have had great success with Sierra #1390 55gr HPBT. If you have trigger discipline this bullet is a real killer. Its ogive is much closer the lands than many bullets which i think explains the stellar and, easy to achieve accuracy. Were i live there are many trees and pretty much no 300 yard shots. That is good because the down fall to this bullet is the ballistic coefficient. It has a steep taper that puts it into the rifling quick coupled with a massive size for caliber hollow point. You just can't have it all with physics.

They tried to help the bullet out in the wind with the boat tail design.

For open land shooting the 55 or 60 grain Vmax's can be made to shoot great for a fair price in bulk. An even sturdier constructed bullet is the Nosler BT (ballistic tip) in the 55-60 grain configuration. That one is of superior construction but a fella sure does pay for it too....

Anything works i suppose with proper shot placement. The fellas who take this sport seriously (myself included) shoot bullets designed specifically for the sport. Lots of 55 grain SP's out there are hard by design, because they are made for the 22-250 or 220 Swift velocities. Those bullets are best avoided at .223 velocities.

Try to get your 55 - 60 grain bullets going at 2850fps or better. That speed and hopefully above will be plenty lethal and have a trajectory that will be forgiving with a miscalculated range estimate.

Lots of fellas like 55 grain bullets, double base spherical powders with blitzkrieg velocities that make flat line trajectories. 50 yard zero and minimal hold over out to 250 with an 8-10 or so inch hold at your guesstimated 300 yard distance.

It feels really great to have that type of set up. It will keep you from wounding animals if you respect the wind velocity and direction.

Happy hunting!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast