Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Chronograph to buy? Recommendations.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Which Chronograph to buy? Recommendations.

Search didn't come up with much for me besides a thread from 2008,

Will be used for .308, .223 / 5.56, and various handgun calibers .357, 9mm, .40, .45 ACP.

Budget is around $200-250ish

I have been looking at the Caldwell G2 ballistic Precision but wanted other opinions.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A.B.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve used and still have a CED M2 which worked very well and is within your price range. I have since moved on to a Labradar which is far and away a better experience, but is more than double your price range. I would avoid the Magnetospeed models- although they are only a little outside of your price range, IMO, they’re more trouble than they’re worth. After, measuring velocity, you’ll have to reshoot groups for accuracy without the unit hanging from the end of your barrel. The bayonet projectile “reader” will also not work with all firearms types, at least not ideally.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I bought the Caldwell myself a year or so ago and when I have used it it worked fine ! I bought this one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/62...ph-premium-kit Its not the same one as your looking at but so far so good ! Mine has LED lights that go over the top for use on bad days or even indoors ! I have used it indoors and it worked great ! That mite not be a feature you need but we have a great indoor range where I shoot so I have used it in there a couple times over the Winter when working up loads,,kinda cool ! I also have this one https://www.midwayusa.com/product/53...f1-chronograph that I got cheap in a deal with some other items,,it works very good also. A buddy and I put both chronos together and shot over both at the same time and they were very close in there measurements,,,within a few FPS,,so that was good I guess !
    Cronos are great tools for sure but ya really don't use them that much I don't think,,kinda runs in spurts,,LOL ya get a new rifle/pistol and you will use it or when changing bullets/powder but they sit probably 95% of the time,,just the way it is I guess ! Anyways I'm sure the Caldwell you mentioned will be great but the ones I have listed and used work fine for me. Let us know how ya make out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive used a Competition Electronics chrono for years now. Have checked it against others, andhave found it to be very reliable & easy to use. Gave about $100 for it. The ProChrono model I believe.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have been very happy with my MagnetoSpeed, and highly recommend it.
    I have compared it to many other devices, and it delivers.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Ive used a Competition Electronics chrono for years now. Have checked it against others, andhave found it to be very reliable & easy to use. Gave about $100 for it. The ProChrono model I believe.
    I have been using a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono for testing rifle and handgun ammunition for years and it works well. Muzzle velocities are very close to published velocities for a lot of factory ammunition.

A shooting buddy has the MagnetoSpeed chronograph, which he uses for testing F Class loads and he recommends it. I've seen him use it on bolt action rifles and it is more convenient than a chronograph positioned 15' from the muzzle. He does not use it for testing handgun loads, so I can't comment on that.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am in the same boat as the OP (no price range though). I have been eyeing the Labradar by have not heard a whole lot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I’ve used and still have a CED M2 which worked very well and is within your price range. I have since moved on to a Labradar which is far and away a better experience, but is more than double your price range. I would avoid the Magnetospeed models- although they are only a little outside of your price range, IMO, they’re more trouble than they’re worth. After, measuring velocity, you’ll have to reshoot groups for accuracy without the unit hanging from the end of your barrel. The bayonet projectile “reader” will also not work with all firearms types, at least not ideally.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The magnetospeed is nice. But as pointed out, it mounts to the firearm, which isn't a problem for me. But if you're testing pistol and SBR, etc., It's not optimal.

We run the CED too. It's been really good for the money.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I am in the same boat as the OP (no price range though). I have been eyeing the Labradar by have not heard a whole lot about it.
    I have a Labradar. It is way more difficult to properly set up, gets a lot of error pickups, and is not easy to navigate menus and such.

I do 90% of my Magnetospeed use with the chronograph attached to the handguard, but have shot it quite a bit attached directly to barrels. Amount of shift is less than that of any suppressor on the market. Can be stuck to pistols with a bottom rail, but the practical application of pistol ammo velocity is almost, but not quite completely, useless.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have a Labradar. It is way more difficult to properly set up, gets a lot of error pickups, and is not easy to navigate menus and such.

I do 90% of my Magnetospeed use with the chronograph attached to the handguard, but have shot it quite a bit attached directly to barrels. Amount of shift is less than that of any suppressor on the market. Can be stuck to pistols with a bottom rail, but the practical application of pistol ammo velocity is almost, but not quite completely, useless.
    The Magneto’s which I have used have been very accurate in their readings but the effort needed to use it with a wide variety of firearms make it more trouble than worth (for me and only me). If you’re only using it for certain types of weapons, an AR with a hand guard for example, it would be fine.

My Labradar is very picky in terms of muzzle placement in relation to the unit. Once I figured this out through trial and error, I haven’t had an issue in getting good readings. I can’t remeber getting anything inexplicable, either, that I would consider a false reading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast