Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Browning Dropping Hi-Power Models from Production

Feedback Score
    The 1911 is a great gun in large part because it is a John Browning design. The BHP is a great gun in large part because it is a John Browning design.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    They are way too expensive. I haven't owned one in years since I was introduced to CZ.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    The 1911 is a great gun in large part because it is a John Browning design. The BHP is a great gun in large part because it is a John Browning design.
    The Browning name has more to do with the P35 than design....sort of. Dieudonné Saive finished up the Hi Power and changed quite a few things on it versus the prototypes from when Browning was alive, although he did tweak it more towards a 1911 as patents expired.

Something fun to screw with the average Fudd's mind is to have an FN built gun that Browning Arms didn't import. Can't be a Browning Hi Power since it just has "Pistolet, Automatique Browning Modele a Grande Puissance" wrote on it.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 02-12-18 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    For a staggered column pistol it is pretty thin. An even stranger thing is the polymer grips (that appear to be identical to the wood ones) feel much better to most. Never was wild about the polymer grips standard on the MkIIIs models.

A similar grip issue is with the ergonomic grips on the CZ75B that were on the ones allegedly being sold as over runs from a Turkish police contract. I could barely get on the trigger when it was in double action mode till I switched to the flat checkered standard ones.
    I have large hands, and long fingers. The trigger reach on my BHP is a little short for me, but doable. The CZ-75's fit me perfectly. That is probably why I have five CZ's, and one Browning Hi Power.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I carried a Hi Power years ago. It was a great pistol but I always had a hard time getting a good solid grip on it. It's just a little small for my hands and my hands are not big by any measure.

Someone once said the Hi Power was a great pistol for 12 year old girl. I kinda agree. It's just too dainty for most men.

Feedback Score
    It seems like they never really tried very hard to push them here. Maybe international sales were so good they didn't figure they had to? Or as others have suggested maybe the 9mm round was a bit of a curse for it in this market from the 30's to the 80's. People had the .38spl when they wanted a low recoiling centerfire target round. Maybe that was all they wanted?
    Last edited by yellowfin; 02-15-18 at 17:46.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Supposedly the Turks are importing clones, but I've not seen one. I'm a CZ fanboy so wouldn't buy anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just picked up my Turk HP (Regent BR 9) today. Have only handled it, field stripped it, and lubed it, but it looks pretty darned good for the $. Will see how it stacks up against my FN Mk. III in the short and long term.

It could be a winner.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 21:09.

Feedback Score
    They'd still be a perfectly viable pistol if they'd modernize production and lower the price. Alas....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123