Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browning Dropping Hi-Power Models from Production

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    The Browning Hi-Power and Colt 1911, the two most aesthetically pleasing handguns ever. IMHO.
    The BHP is "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age", and a delight to the eye. Most of today's 'more advanced' pistols have all the visual appeal of a high-lift jack.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    The Browning Hi-Power and Colt 1911, the two most aesthetically pleasing handguns ever. IMHO.
    It would be interesting to hear others opinions why the 1911 was so much more popular, especially over a wide variety of manufacturers over the BHP. The obvious is the 1911 was the standard issue U.S. sidearm 1911 - 1985, the trigger is superior out of the box, and the .45 ACP round. What else?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Going to guess the being US issue along with being sold surplus (or stolen) combined with being of good quality are the main points.

I don't think the trigger on an out of the box original spec/issue 1911 is a major leap over an out of the box Hi Power and 1911 trigger jobs have historically been a big seller for gunsmiths.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    That is sad news. One of the all time great handguns. Owners will appreciate the value appreciation. A loss for the rest.
    Yes it is, plastic pistols and XD's for the masses.

Feedback Score
    It is just hard to compete in the market cost wise.
    CZ is about the only classic design, all metal, especially all steel gun that seems able to pack in a ton at plastic gun money.

SIG, Beretta, etc. charge a good bit more for a comparable gun.

What would the MSRP be on a new S&W 1006 if they made them?
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    It would be interesting to hear others opinions why the 1911 was so much more popular, especially over a wide variety of manufacturers over the BHP. The obvious is the 1911 was the standard issue U.S. sidearm 1911 - 1985, the trigger is superior out of the box, and the .45 ACP round. What else?
    The first time I ever held a BHP many years ago (I had held very few handguns at this point) the salesman kept going on about how great the grip was. However, it felt like a huge block to me. I don't know how common it was at the time, but it had very thick wood grips. The first time I ever held/shot a 1911 it was a completely different experience. It was love at first shot.

I realize the BHP grip is highly praised, but that was my experience. I've since held one with slimmer plastic grips and it was 1,000% better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 1911 was "invented here", was a Colt when Colt was king, was a manly .45 caliber, and by the end of WWI was well known and proven. The BHP was a European gun that came to market in the depths of the Depression over there; I doubt that many found their way to the US until GIs brought back some as war trophies and curiosities. The 9mm ball cartridge was not popular here, and the large magazine capacity was apparently not a big selling point in those far-off days. Jeff Cooper had some kind things to say about the gun in his earliest writings, but not about the 9mm round.

The Super Vel loadings back in the mid 70s were an improvement, and by the time Glocks came along the word was that 9mm loads had improved to where the best of them seemed to be a decent defensive choice. Maybe so--although bigger still seems better somehow, studies be hanged. Still, there seems to be some evidence that supports that, and in these evil times a 15 round mag in a BHP has a certain appeal.

As well ask why people buy and shoot single action revolvers 145 years after their introduction in 1873.

If you're gonna be a gun--be an iconic gun.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    The first time I ever held a BHP many years ago (I had held very few handguns at this point) the salesman kept going on about how great the grip was. However, it felt like a huge block to me. I don't know how common it was at the time, but it had very thick wood grips. The first time I ever held/shot a 1911 it was a completely different experience. It was love at first shot.

I realize the BHP grip is highly praised, but that was my experience. I've since held one with slimmer plastic grips and it was 1,000% better.
    For a staggered column pistol it is pretty thin. An even stranger thing is the polymer grips (that appear to be identical to the wood ones) feel much better to most. Never was wild about the polymer grips standard on the MkIIIs models.

A similar grip issue is with the ergonomic grips on the CZ75B that were on the ones allegedly being sold as over runs from a Turkish police contract. I could barely get on the trigger when it was in double action mode till I switched to the flat checkered standard ones.

Feedback Score
    Total horseshit. Polymer ruins. By far my favorite 9mm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm sure glad I have a couple of 1911's, a CZ75, a CZ85, and a High-Power. Iconic, they are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast