Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soul-Mind (new novella)

Feedback Score
    WillBrink has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Hi Will, why do you do the novella, it is a trail run to see how it is received before writing a full novel?

I'm 16K words into my sci-fi, dystopian, romance novel, only about 80K more words to go. LOL

Todd
    Last edited by Todd00000; 02-20-18 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    WillBrink has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
    Cleared, thanx

Hi Will, why do you do the novella, it is a trail run to see how it is received before writing a full novel?

I'm 16K words into my sci-fi, dystopian, romance novel, only about 80K more words to go. LOL

Todd
    Real answer, i didn't choose them, they chose me. I wrote a story till it ended, and it happened to be novalla length. That was Vacation Gone South one. 7 done now, all ended up being novella length. I like the pace and focus of them, and do find myself reading some books and thinking they would be even better if they just put the best parts of the book together. I have also read plenty of 1000 page + novels and enjoyed them considerably. I don't write with any word count in mind per se, I write till I feel I told that story as it wanted to be told, and stop, which seems to be novella length. It's possible all those years of writing for print magazines and such influenced my writing style to just get to the point and stay there. I also don't think I have the patience for a novel, but well known writers started with short stories, so who knows.

Hope that helps, but not really a conscious decision on my end per se.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Cleared, thanx

Real answer, i didn't choose them, they chose me. I wrote a story till it ended, and it happened to be novalla length. That was Vacation Gone South one. 7 done now, all ended up being novella length. I like the pace and focus of them, and do find myself reading some books and thinking they would be even better if they just put the best parts of the book together. I have also read plenty of 1000 page + novels and enjoyed them considerably. I don't write with any word count in mind per se, I write till I feel I told that story as it wanted to be told, and stop, which seems to be novella length. It's possible all those years of writing for print magazines and such influenced my writing style to just get to the point and stay there. I also don't think I have the patience for a novel, but well known writers started with short stories, so who knows.

Hope that helps, but not really a conscious decision on my end per se.
    Makes sense. I don't like short stories, they are either boring leading up to the hook, or they are awesome and I wish they were longer. The novella is something I need to read more of, I find myself skipping over a lot of needless description, and back story to get to the main event of the plot/mystery. My book will probably be around 250 pages, I'll get it professionally edited and cover art, and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Makes sense. I don't like short stories, they are either boring leading up to the hook, or they are awesome and I wish they were longer.
    To me, that's a win. As the man said "always leave them wanting more." Only major complaint I ever get, is "I wish it had been longer" which I take as a compliment frankly. Many things can be said about my novellas, boring is not one of them

End of the day, if it's good, you'll always wish it was longer. Shogun is 1500 pages I recall, and I have read it at least 5 times, and always wish it was longer cuz it's just that good. Blade Runner could have been 6 hours for all I care. etc.

The novella is something I need to read more of, I find myself skipping over a lot of needless description, and back story to get to the main event of the plot/mystery. My book will probably be around 250 pages, I'll get it professionally edited and cover art, and see what happens.
    Word count is what matters, so ignore pages. Too many things can alter # of pages to matter any more. All publishers, mags etc I have worked with care about word count ultimately. Me, I write the story I wanna write, then see what the word count is, but I have always done a lot of things ass backward like that to varying levels of success with it. But to me, it's no different than looking at an artists painting and saying "It's a great painting, but would be better with some more blue over there." You want more blue, you paint the f-ing picture. And don't get me started on copy editors
    Last edited by WillBrink; 02-20-18 at 11:40.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    To me, that's a win. As the man said "always leave them wanting more." Only major complaint I ever get, is "I wish it had been longer" which I take as a compliment frankly. Many things can be said about my novellas, boring is not one of them

Word count is what matters, so ignore pages. Too many things can alter # of pages to matter any more. All publishers, mags etc I have worked with care about word count ultimately. Me, I write the story I wanna write, then see what the word count is, but I have always done a lot of things ass backward like that to varying levels of success with it. But to me, it's no different than looking at an artists painting and saying "It's a great painting, but would be better with some more blue over there." You want more blue, you paint the f-ing picture. And don't get me started on copy editors
    Yeah I know, word count, the genre I think I'm writing in is 80-100K words for a book that is in a series.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yeah I know, word count, the genre I think I'm writing in is 80-100K words for a book that is in a series.
    I will just add, in that genre especially, a lot of top writers cut their teeth on short stories. Been a published author for 3 decades now in non fiction, and no way my first attempt into fiction would have been a full length novel.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    😎😎🤓😎😎

Reviews coming in for my latest SciFi novella:

5.0 out of 5 stars.
    Brink starts a great examination into what makes consciousness and being human.

"Will Brink creates a great novella story about the fate of humanity and possibly the human consciousness as it creates its own technological singularity. Fast paced, page turning we follow our main character into his future as a new type of entity. The only down side...it’s a novella that should be a sci fi of epic proportions."
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For the next 2 days only, my most recent SciFi Novella – Soul Mind – is FREE! Here’s a review:

“As with Brink’s past sci-fi, Soul-Mind defies simple categories or genres. Part search for the meaning of consciousness, part futuristic war story, part exploration of what it means to be human, part prophecy of a possible future. It satisfies every part of the sci-fi readers needs for a fast paced engrossing thoughtful story.” – SciFi Fan

And:

"Future war, transhumanism, and dragons, what's not to love?!"

https://www.amazon.com/Soul-Mind-Nov...dp/B079P8BNN2/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    All, To celebrate my upcoming release of "The Last War Mage," my last SF novella Soul-Mind is free for two days only. Grab a copy!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12