Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soul-Mind (new novella)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Soul-Mind (new novella)

Folks, my latest novella, Soul-Mind is up on Amazon. If you enjoyed the last two sci-fi stories, this one has some elements of both. The cover is a bit generic, so may have to use something else. Thoughts on cover? I look forward to your reviews/feedback.

See ==> Soul-Mind
    Last edited by WillBrink; 02-08-18 at 17:57.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is the description. Compelling? Boring?

"Post World War III, the earth is headed for total eco-system collapse. The end of man as the dominant species on the planet is not due to nuclear holocaust as so many had predicted, but an accumulation of good old traditional bombs of all kinds and sizes, chemical weapons, biologicals, beam weapons, kinetics launched from orbit, rockets, fleets of robotic ground and air weapons platforms, railguns “smart” landmines of various types and sizes, and assorted mixtures of automatic weapons and munitions made a hell of a mess that killed more people than prior world wars combined. It also effectively killed the birthplace of mankind.

When the warring nations realize it’s get off planet Earth or cease to exist as a species, they collaborate to develop a strategy to find habitable planets. Only a mind used to extreme isolation and survival under any circumstances is fit to make the journey in search of habitable planets, and one of the most decorated snipers of WWIII is one of those minds chosen.

A sniper tired of war, done with killing, sitting in jail for murder, hand-picked for a journey for which there is no return trip, a journey with little chance of success, for which all mankind will depend. A journey that will challenge what it means to be human.

Scout Sniper Sergeant Wilkins has been through more than his fair share of missions that were supposed to be one way trips and succeeded where no one else could. This will be his most challenging mission of his life with humanity dependent on his success."
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    It's not my cup of tea, but then again, I am not a fiction reader. I do, however, think it is so cool that you have such a creative mind combined with the willpower to put words to paper. So many of us, myself included, talk about writing a book someday, and here you are churning them out! Bravo!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    It's not my cup of tea, but then again, I am not a fiction reader. I do, however, think it is so cool that you have such a creative mind combined with the willpower to put words to paper. So many of us, myself included, talk about writing a book someday, and here you are churning them out! Bravo!
    Thanx. It aint easy, believe you me. Some bang out amazing volumes of writing. Be it fiction or non, I was never a volume writer. A Novella per year is no Clive Cussler
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If he is a sniper done with killing then why is he in jail for murder?

Or did the murder be his straw that broke the camel's back?

Not poo-pooing, just kinda hung me up a bit.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    If he is a sniper done with killing then why is he in jail for murder?

Or did the murder be his straw that broke the camel's back?

Not poo-pooing, just kinda hung me up a bit.
    But description should leave the reader with Qs, they have to read the book to answer. It generated Qs for you, and that's the idea. Keeping that in mind, is there a re wording you think would be more effective?

Answer to your Q: after leaving the mil due to the war ending, he kills some drug dealing flesh runners who live below him trying to rape a young women, and is thrown in jail, his war hero status the only thing that prevented him from being shot in the head on site.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    But description should leave the reader with Qs, they have to read the book to answer. It generated Qs for you, and that's the idea. Keeping that in mind, is there a re wording you think would be more effective?

Answer to your Q: after leaving the mil due to the war ending, he kills some drug dealing flesh runners who live below him trying to rape a young women, and is thrown in jail, his war hero status the only thing that prevented him from being shot in the head on site.
    I see. I guess like in that case "Sitting in jail accused of murder after defending someone else" would engender sympathy and raise the question of who he defended and why. It's just that as-is it makes him seem contradictory. Don't like killing but in jail for murder raises too many questions like "Did he get up in a clocktower" or "Is he crazy?" or "Is he so antisocial as to be unsympathetic?"

There is not much difference between Bob Lee Swagger and Timothy McVeigh without context.

Because then it makes me wonder "Who did he defend? A wife? Girlfriend? Little old lady who was a mother figure?"

Just my two cents.

Now that I know he's not crazy, I am much more interested in his tale

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I see. I guess like in that case "Sitting in jail accused of murder after defending someone else" would engender sympathy and raise the question of who he defended and why. It's just that as-is it makes him seem contradictory. Don't like killing but in jail for murder raises too many questions like "Did he get up in a clocktower" or "Is he crazy?" or "Is he so antisocial as to be unsympathetic?"

There is not much difference between Bob Lee Swagger and Timothy McVeigh without context.

Because then it makes me wonder "Who did he defend? A wife? Girlfriend? Little old lady who was a mother figure?"

Just my two cents.

Now that I know he's not crazy, I am much more interested in his tale
    Here's the description for Point of Impact, which also seems to leave more Qs than gives answers in perhaps a similar way?

"He was one the best Marine snipers in Vietnam. Today, twenty years later, disgruntled hero of an unheroic war, all Bob Lee Swagger wants to be left alone and to leave the killing behind.But with consummate psychological skill, a shadowy military organization seduces Bob into leaving his beloved Arkansas hills for one last mission for his country, unaware until too late that the game is rigged.The assassination plot is executed to perfection—until Bob Lee Swagger, alleged lone gunman, comes out of the operation alive, the target of a nationwide manhunt, his only allies a woman he just met and a discredited FBI agent. Now Bob Lee Swagger is on the run, using his lethal skills once more—but this time to track down the men who set him up and to break a dark conspiracy aimed at the very heart of America."

BTW, if you enjoyed that book (and who didn't?!) and the genre from people like Brad Thor, Vince Flynn eta l, my Vacation Gone South series has gotten high marks from the BTDT types. etc.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Reviews for my new Novella, Soul-Mind, are starting to come in!

5.0 out of 5 stars. He’s back and better than ever..
    February 17, 2018

"Well, Will Brink is back and he is better than ever !! This new novella is extremely creative and thought provoking
    " - Paul Laughlin
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast