Thread: anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    HY-100 is lighter than 8620 carbon steel, Carpenter 158 and Super Duplex. I know that machining HY-100 is not easy, but doing some research and talking to our engineers, I have found that HY-100 is perfectly suitable for a bolt carrier. The reason is because HY-100 is used primary because it is resistant to corrosion, light weight and stronger than other bolt carriers on the market. It would cost me $400-500 to manufacture (5) total, not each.

I don't have the capabilities to manufacture the gas key, bolt, ejector, firing pin or anything else for that matter. I am just going to do a run on the bolt carrier itself and then buy the parts needed to build a complete BCG.

I also don't have the capabilities to chrome line the bore so I will most likely use Ceramax which is a coating that we invented and later sold to Rexroth, more info here:https://www.airlinehyd.com/literatur...%20Coating.PDF
    its stronger than chrome, more heat resistant and self healing.

this is a drawing I did on AutoCAD Inventor
    Attachment 50414

I have a drawing for the bolt itself, just too complex to manufacture.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Isn't lightening the bolt carrier generally considered a negative?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    HY-100 is lighter than 8620 carbon steel, Carpenter 158 and Super Duplex. I know that machining HY-100 is not easy, but doing some research and talking to our engineers, I have found that HY-100 is perfectly suitable for a bolt carrier. The reason is because HY-100 is used primary because it is resistant to corrosion, light weight and stronger than other bolt carriers on the market. It would cost me $400-500 to manufacture (5) total, not each.

I don't have the capabilities to manufacture the gas key, bolt, ejector, firing pin or anything else for that matter. I am just going to do a run on the bolt carrier itself and then buy the parts needed to build a complete BCG.

I also don't have the capabilities to chrome line the bore so I will most likely use Ceramax which is a coating that we invented and later sold to Rexroth, more info here:https://www.airlinehyd.com/literatur...%20Coating.PDF
    its stronger than chrome, more heat resistant and self healing.

this is a drawing I did on AutoCAD Inventor
    Attachment 50414

I have a drawing for the bolt itself, just too complex to manufacture.
    Not that lighter is a good thing but how much lighter is lighter? 1%, 10%, 50%. Is corrosion a problem with the common phosphated carrier? Last ?. Tell me about this self healing Ceramax. Does self healing mean if I wear it off today it will grow back tomorrow? Kinda like a skink's tail. Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I am.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Not that lighter is a good thing but how much lighter is lighter? 1%, 10%, 50%. Is corrosion a problem with the common phosphated carrier? Last ?. Tell me about this self healing Ceramax. Does self healing mean if I wear it off today it will grow back tomorrow? Kinda like a skink's tail. Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I am.
    its not significantly lighter, maybe not even noticeable. Ceramax is a ceramic coating that we use in nuclear cylinders and catapults for US aircraft carriers. We grind material down, build up with a laser clad weld and then add ceramax using high heat. Ceramax does NOT wear off nor will it ever wear off. It has become one with the material when applied. It does not scratch, nor does it chip. Self healing means that if another piece of material slides up against it, it wont scar it up. The idea for using ceramax in the bolt carrier is that in theory, you would never had to worry about carbon build up, you could simply just wipe it off with a paper towel since nothing sticks to ceramax. This is yet to be tested, that's why I insist on someone running a few thousand rounds through it. Once I get these made, I plan on giving a little more information on the manufacturing process and the material.

Feedback Score
    I think if you ran 10,000 rounds with one of these you'd see very little wear...just like with every other carrier out there.