Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    ... carpenter steel...
    Bolt carriers are made from 8620 not C158.

I'm concerned if you can case harden like the 8620. There is a lot of stress and friction in the cam pin slot, if not hardened it may deform or gall.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Bolt carriers are made from 8620 not C158.

I'm concerned if you can case harden like the 8620. There is a lot of stress and friction in the cam pin slot, if not hardened it may deform or gall.
    a lot of bolt carriers are made from C158, but most are made from 8620

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    C158 is not to print, and more expensive. On a part that never fails.

I would suspect poor advertisements of BCG's incorrectly listing the bolt and carrier as C158 instead of just the bolt.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's awesome that they let you inside and crawl around. I have sets of blueprints to certain parts of the Ohio Class but a lot of the information contained in those drawings has been blacked out. They wont provide any documentation, photos or much information except the print that they give us.
    This is from my collection of NAVSEA books given to me by the Dept of the Navy. This is what I am going off of.
    Attachment 50449
    [/COLOR]
    Lulz! It wasn't a case of them "letting" me crawl around that stuff, it was a case of the foreman coming to me and saying "You drew the short straw today, Here's your TGI, get up to the _______ (insert mud tank or sail) and do _______ (corrosion inspections/repair structure "X"/measure layout for "Y"/Install foundation "Z")....".... I'm a big dude (6'2", getting stuck doing mud tank work or sail work wasn't exactly my favorite part of the job. ;-)

I'm not denying your statement, but the Department Acquisition University, DoD, DNR, DTIC and congress says to use HY-100 because it is resistant to corrosion. I think Inconel and other super alloys is just too difficult to work with.
    Those parts get enough attention that the need for NiCu type alloys really isn't necessary. Especially since the protective paints are durable enough to make 2 year maintenance cycles and the use of zincs are many and varied. I WISH hy100 were as corrosion resistant as the books say it is.... People don't think things be like they be, but they do... ;-)

Biggest issue with NiCu alloys in most uses is flexing. NiChroCu alloys work harden way too easily and I wouldn't use them in any kind of capacity that required flex with possibility to strain harden and develop fatigue cracking. The best thing about them is corrosion and wear resistance.

That kind of why I'm doing this, I have no other way to see if this will work in those conditions. I would be lead to assume that HY would be perfect for a BCG, but I could be horribly wrong. I know that HY can expand and contract under a lot of heat, but I doubt an AR can achieve that kind of heat.
    Expansion chamber inside the bolt just might constrict enough to seize the bolt/gas rings. But you are correct, don't know until you try.

Have you ever coated a piece of HY rod or tube with this nifty coating of yours and then intentionally heated the steel to see if the expansion properties of the steel would cause cracking of the coating? I for one, am all about the DT and NDT....

Inconel is hard to machine unless you use induction heat and for some reason, Inconel doesn't like carbide tools and its not martensitic, so I cant do magnetic particle inspections, otherwise Inconel 718 would be my first choice for material.
    Would be interesting. Can't say that i'm super familiar with all aspects of Inconel outside of the missile tube work I've done with it. That being said, my personal experience with it says it lends itself to being too soft for BCG work.

Considering that NiCu alloys do not lend themselves to traditional hardening techniques, and age hardening simply doesn't get them as hard as they should be, Any kind of NiCu alloy would probably be discounted for this type of application.

Traditional 718 is in the mid 40's on the RC scale(at its hardest), whereas a 8628 carrier is hardened to approx. 58-60rc, That's quite a variance. Might be a good idea to find out just how hard HY100 can be made before it stops being hy100, or if it can even be hardened appropriately at all.

I want to sent you a small sample of Ceramax, so you can tell me what you think. It has a titanium, greyish silver tone to it and has a mirror like finish. I think you will like it.
    Based of what I've read earlier, correct me if i'm wrong but you plan on sending the carriers to the testers with the ceramax coating applied fully to the pieces? Or did I read wrong and you just plan on coating the internal bore? Will you also apply the coating in the carrier key threaded holes or leave those unfinished?

Believe me, as a person heavily involved in naval equipment professionally, a coating such as the one you describe sounds very promising. I can definitely see its utility in hydraulics, but the real test will be impact resistance, direct heat resistance, and thermal expansion resistance in this application.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    I think it's great to try and use up-to-date materials and methods -one of the reasons I like Duffy and his company. I would love to run on of these carriers for you, and I just got a range membership, but don't know if I have the ammo to do it right. Best of luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I'm skeptical, but what the hell. I'll be in Lewisville up from Houston this weekend for a basketball tournament and I'm off all next week. I'll pick up a BCG and ammo if you're ready. If it matters, I've worked as a quality consultant and QMS auditor for O&G for the last few years, most recently quality manager at a machine shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    I'd be happy to document the use of one of these Carriers. I think the material and the coating process sound super intriguing.

I have a private range and could run the carrier as hard as you wanted. Would probably drop a BCM bolt in it and source Colt parts for the key.

Love the idea.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Grendelsnap; 04-16-18 at 08:51.

Feedback Score
    Hey Elephant, I’m trying to PM you about some stuff you have for sale and your box is full. Can you contact me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As a retired submariner, I would want one just for the nostalgia factor. Testing, sure, that would be a plus if you're still looking for people to test.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast