Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    Say no more! Years ago, I was manufacturing the hydraulic cylinders and central power unit for the Patriot Missile System as well as the missile erection cylinders and launch pad leveling cylinders for the Minuteman III program and got a chance to bid on a manufacturing package. The DOD was requesting a parts replacement program for some of there current inventory. I will let you guess what these are.

Attachment 51881

Attachment 51882

Attachment 51883

Attachment 51884

Attachment 51885
    If I had to guess, and it's a poorly educated guess, it looks like a munitions loading system. Otherwise, it's a component within a system I just don't know. The mechanical nature of it has my mind analyzing every bit. From the gear segments to mounting system.

Nonetheless, I have always had an obsession with CAD. Coming from the graphic designer education background, and a modeling background from Valve/STEAM based game engines, (as a hobby ), it amazes me the beauty and art behind those intellectual property.

It's something that friends have looked at designs and gone: Oh, thats kinda cool. Looks interesting.

And I nerd out about polygon count and texture profiling, design time, and manufacturing options.

I have one of the original Defense Distributed CAD packs, just waiting for the day my brother and I invest in a 3D metal printer. He's spending his 67k enlistment bonus on such when he gets back after basic and AIT. He really wants to do something Manufacturing wise with 3D Printers. Entrepreneurs at heart, which means masochism follows closely behind. Haha.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-08-18 at 00:40.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    If I had to guess, and it's a poorly educated guess, it looks like a munitions loading system. Otherwise, it's a component within a system I just don't know. The mechanical nature of it has my mind analyzing every bit. From the gear segments to mounting system.
    Ill give you a hint:

Attachment 51886

Attachment 51887
    Last edited by elephant; 05-08-18 at 01:15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ill give you a hint:

Attachment 51886

Attachment 51887
    Hey, I was on the right track!

Never realized the simplicity of the mounting systems for components like that. I suppose the easier to service the more likelyhood it stays in rotation. The square port and gear mechanisms had me sure it had to be something that handled loading.

Damnit. Now I want to get my hands on one, just to take apart and reassemble.

Very cool, thanks for sharing such awesome work.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-08-18 at 01:20.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    If you have a creative bone in your body or like to design things in your mind, I would recommend learning CAD. Its beneficial and can help you transfer ideas from your mind onto a 3D image. You can learn the basic fundamentals in as little as a week and build on from there. Making a simple part is easy, making 12 parts and having them work together seamlessly is the tricky part. I have taken several 40 hour classes on Autodesk Inventor: Intro to Solid Modeling, Intermediate sketches using offset plane geometry, Intermediate parametric modeling, assembly, Advanced 3d modeling focusing on constraints and surfacing.

Here are some stainless suppressor baffles I designed in CAD based on an idea I had:
    Attachment 51890

The idea was great in my head, but CAD found material weakness issues that I overlooked and helped me resolve those issues and I got a better product than I originally thought of: I was also able to simulate and test this design under the same conditions under normal operation.
    Attachment 51891

I have a Makerbot 3D printer and have made some good rail panels that look similar to the Centurion CMR panels but fit on a KAC URX 3.1. I would rather makes things out of steel than plastic. I badly want to build a small machine shop dedicated to my randomness.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you have a creative bone in your body or like to design things in your mind, I would recommend learning CAD. Its beneficial and can help you transfer ideas from your mind onto a 3D image. You can learn the basic fundamentals in as little as a week and build on from there. Making a simple part is easy, making 12 parts and having them work together seamlessly is the tricky part. I have taken several 40 hour classes on Autodesk Inventor: Intro to Solid Modeling, Intermediate sketches using offset plane geometry, Intermediate parametric modeling, assembly, Advanced 3d modeling focusing on constraints and surfacing.

Here are some stainless suppressor baffles I designed in CAD based on an idea I had:
    Attachment 51890

The idea was great in my head, but CAD found material weakness issues that I overlooked and helped me resolve those issues and I got a better product than I originally thought of: I was also able to simulate and test this design under the same conditions under normal operation.
    Attachment 51891

I have a Makerbot 3D printer and have made some good rail panels that look similar to the Centurion CMR panels but fit on a KAC URX 3.1. I would rather makes things out of steel than plastic. I badly want to build a small machine shop dedicated to my randomness.
    I will keep an eye open for class options either locally or online.

It would really cool to have a small shop, in general. Someday when I have more funds to start sprouting structures up and more property.

Feedback Score
    Question: How do you get it out (or in)?

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Question: How do you get it out (or in)?
    That's what she said!

But seriously, this is a plug and play device. Just remove your buffer and buffer spring, remove buffer detent and buffer detent spring, slide the Reactive Buffer System™ into the buffer tube and you are ready to go. There is no indexing required. This devise is designed in a way to allow the BCG to operate inside a Mil-spec buffer tube without any tolerance or alignment issues. You simply add a tablespoon of your favorite lube to this device and change every 2000 rounds or so. The front of this devise has a porous bleeder ring that will keep this device well lubricated as well as use as hydraulic fluid for the Reactive Recoil™ - like a shock absorber. Same technology I used in my nuclear reactor stabilizing cylinders as well as the hydraulic cylinders that were used on the Ohio Class submarines- Motion Pro™

To remove, simply pull the take down pin, grab devise with your fingernail and pull. Its a snug fit, but not press fit. The BCG and Reactive Buffer System™ are 2 separate and individual components. You can use your favorite Mil-spec BCG.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Are you still looking for Beta testers when you get some of these made?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Are you still looking for Beta testers when you get some of these made?
    Pretty soon, I have one prototype made already which I am going to do a video comparing my design to the current buffer system. I wont actually show the individual components or sub-assemblies, obviously for trademark and patent reasons but will give people a general idea on how quiet my system is compared to a standard system.

The prototype I have which I refer to as the "X-1", because its my first prototype but mainly, "X-1" just sounds awesome hasn't made it to the testing phase. The Reactive Buffer System™ X-1 has non commercial springs, which I had made from SpringCo., and the hydraulic pistol assembly was made by my company, over a year ago. The piston assembly is a bronze clad stainless- which we did in house and used in many of our hydraulic systems. The bronze overlay design lengthens your operational lifetime almost 200%. Now I am having to find someone who can replicate this. I am hoping to have 20 built this summer and ready for user trial.

Just to give you an idea of how small the check vales are:
    Attachment 51936

The relief valve:
    Attachment 51937
    Last edited by elephant; 05-12-18 at 14:16.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well, this thread just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Excited to see where this goes.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast