Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

I'm having (5) bolt carriers manufactured using HY-100 steel. This is the same material US submarines are made from and are virtually indestructible and resistant to corrosion. The steel is certified MIL-S-21952 C/D and T9074-BD-GIB-010/0300 and rated at 100,000psi. You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HY-80. Our company manufactures replacement parts for the Ohio Class Submarines and I had some material left over, the material I have has been ultra sound, X-RAY, gamma irradiated and stress test.

Having said that, I am wanting to know if anyone would want to test these out for me. Possibly a few thousand rounds should provide enough feedback. Basically I'm wanting someone to try to destroy these bolt carriers through heavy firing, wet/humid conditions, carbon build up, different types of ammo etc. I don't know if there is a market for these considering these would probably cost around $400-$500 but perhaps last a lifetime. Anyways, let me know if you have interest or wanting more information.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

I’d be willing to test one out, unfortunately right now I can’t see myself putting a round count of that magnitude through it, maybe in a few months, I could but right now I wouldn’t be much help.

How are these being manufactured, will the carrier key be made of the same material? Is there even a carrier key, or is it just the stripped carrier?

Would a metal of that composite have any adverse effect on the aluminum receivers over use? I’m not a metallurgist, but have read a few books on alchemy :sarcasm:
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 02-10-18 at 04:15.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I could get some rds. through one for you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No bolt, just carrier?
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    No bolt, just carrier?
    It probably wouldnt work well since it has 75% of the yield strength as c158. Im assuming the numbers i found were both untempered, but neither was specified.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    It probably wouldnt work well since it has 75% of the yield strength as c158. Im assuming the numbers i found were both untempered, but neither was specified.
    I am no expert but it looks like HY-100 is used for pressure vessels, piping and hull plating on submarines. I couldn't find an example of it being used for bearing surfaces. I wonder if the OP has the ability to chrome the bore? I'd like to know how using HY-100 would offer an advantage over a conventional milspec carrier.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Except in the event of a kaboom, always thought carriers were lifetime purchases.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I don't know if there is a market for these considering these would probably cost around $400-$500 but perhaps last a lifetime.
    With the exception of a rifle blowing up due to an ammo issue I have never seen someone break a bolt carrier.

If a $45 bolt carrier will last a lifetime IDK who would spend $400-500 on one.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    yeah^^ has anyone worn out a carrier?

After posting I just remembered I do have a well used Colt M16 carrier with pitting on the outside and chrome flaking off the bolt recess, never fired it and it might still work but I would class it as worn out, likely would eat bolt rings.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 02-10-18 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    If a $45 bolt carrier will last a lifetime IDK who would spend $400-500 on one.
    Yeah. $400 is a huge juice/squeeze gap to bridge. Even if a carrier lasted half a lifetime, just buy two, and you're still hundreds of dollars ahead.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast