Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

Feedback Score
    For the sake of discussion, what might the unobtanium be put to better use for? Triggers, cam pins, parts for another firearm? Just wondering...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    After posting I just remembered I do have a well used Colt M16 carrier with pitting on the outside and chrome flaking off the bolt recess, never fired it and it might still work but I would class it as worn out, likely would eat bolt rings.
    Shoot the shit out of it, you never know.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am just surprised you were able to source the leftover HY-100...
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve never worn out or broken a carrier, and I can’t recall ever seeing one get broken. I did see yesterday what looked like pitting or chipping of the chrome bore of a M16A2 carrier, but I would assume its from 30 years of knuckleheads using crazy $&!% to clean it. The gun does not appear to be having any malfunctions today.

So, yeah, it would take me forever to destroy a carrier. I can break a bolt for you, though.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    HY-100 is lighter than 8620 carbon steel, Carpenter 158 and Super Duplex. I know that machining HY-100 is not easy, but doing some research and talking to our engineers, I have found that HY-100 is perfectly suitable for a bolt carrier. The reason is because HY-100 is used primary because it is resistant to corrosion, light weight and stronger than other bolt carriers on the market. It would cost me $400-500 to manufacture (5) total, not each.

I don't have the capabilities to manufacture the gas key, bolt, ejector, firing pin or anything else for that matter. I am just going to do a run on the bolt carrier itself and then buy the parts needed to build a complete BCG.

I also don't have the capabilities to chrome line the bore so I will most likely use Ceramax which is a coating that we invented and later sold to Rexroth, more info here:https://www.airlinehyd.com/literatur...%20Coating.PDF
    its stronger than chrome, more heat resistant and self healing.

this is a drawing I did on AutoCAD Inventor
    Attachment 50414

I have a drawing for the bolt itself, just too complex to manufacture.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Isn't lightening the bolt carrier generally considered a negative?

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I am just surprised you were able to source the leftover HY-100...
    Manufacturing anything for the military is kind of a pain in the ass. Sometimes we cant buy exactly what we need, say we only need 60 inches of material, we have to buy a minimum of 100 inches. That 100 inch bar stock come with ISO documentation and certifications. The docs and certs go with the 60 inches worth of material leaving us with the rest of the 40 inch bar stock with no paperwork. So if the government orders an additional part, we cant use the 40 inches that was left over because it has no certs or docs. BTW, this is a company that I have an ownership in, my dad who is now gone, was the owner.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The one thing I consistently see with carrier bodies are damaged/loose keys. Damage is usually from dropping carrier, keys coming loose and slamming into gas tubes, people sticking shit into carrier keys attempting to clean magical carbon fairies out which results in things like cotton tip heads breaking off (wooden type) inside.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The one thing I consistently see with carrier bodies are damaged/loose keys. Damage is usually from dropping carrier, keys coming loose and slamming into gas tubes, people sticking shit into carrier keys attempting to clean magical carbon fairies out which results in things like cotton tip heads breaking off (wooden type) inside.

Attachment 50416
    Looking at this drawing I made doesn't look hard to manufacture, but in reality, I think these are forged into there primary shape and then machined finished.

Attachment 50417
    same with the bolt itself, I think these are forged into shape then machined finished using maybe a broach, lathe or a mill , I don't have the tools to machine the lugs.

what I have is CNC lathes and CNC mills and a broaching machine for making keyways

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    HY-100 is lighter than 8620 carbon steel, Carpenter 158 and Super Duplex. I know that machining HY-100 is not easy, but doing some research and talking to our engineers, I have found that HY-100 is perfectly suitable for a bolt carrier. The reason is because HY-100 is used primary because it is resistant to corrosion, light weight and stronger than other bolt carriers on the market. It would cost me $400-500 to manufacture (5) total, not each.

I don't have the capabilities to manufacture the gas key, bolt, ejector, firing pin or anything else for that matter. I am just going to do a run on the bolt carrier itself and then buy the parts needed to build a complete BCG.

I also don't have the capabilities to chrome line the bore so I will most likely use Ceramax which is a coating that we invented and later sold to Rexroth, more info here:https://www.airlinehyd.com/literatur...%20Coating.PDF
    its stronger than chrome, more heat resistant and self healing.

this is a drawing I did on AutoCAD Inventor
    Attachment 50414

I have a drawing for the bolt itself, just too complex to manufacture.
    Not that lighter is a good thing but how much lighter is lighter? 1%, 10%, 50%. Is corrosion a problem with the common phosphated carrier? Last ?. Tell me about this self healing Ceramax. Does self healing mean if I wear it off today it will grow back tomorrow? Kinda like a skink's tail. Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I am.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast