Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Not that lighter is a good thing but how much lighter is lighter? 1%, 10%, 50%. Is corrosion a problem with the common phosphated carrier? Last ?. Tell me about this self healing Ceramax. Does self healing mean if I wear it off today it will grow back tomorrow? Kinda like a skink's tail. Sorry if I sound skeptical, but I am.
    its not significantly lighter, maybe not even noticeable. Ceramax is a ceramic coating that we use in nuclear cylinders and catapults for US aircraft carriers. We grind material down, build up with a laser clad weld and then add ceramax using high heat. Ceramax does NOT wear off nor will it ever wear off. It has become one with the material when applied. It does not scratch, nor does it chip. Self healing means that if another piece of material slides up against it, it wont scar it up. The idea for using ceramax in the bolt carrier is that in theory, you would never had to worry about carbon build up, you could simply just wipe it off with a paper towel since nothing sticks to ceramax. This is yet to be tested, that's why I insist on someone running a few thousand rounds through it. Once I get these made, I plan on giving a little more information on the manufacturing process and the material.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    the entire bolt carrier, the drawing I posted is roughly 3% smaller than original, that takes in account for laser clad/ceramax coating. Once its on, I can grind it to MIL dimensions. Doing some thinking and looking around, I think I could possibly make the actual bolt along with cam using HY-100. This would mean I would be able to make a total of (3) bolt carrier groups minus the extractor assembly, gas rings, roll pins, springs, firing pin and gas key. I could purchase those things separately from a preferred supplier and assemble using grade 8 SHCS for the gas key. I don't know how to stake the gas key but I'm sure someone on here knows how. The only problem with that is that I would literally have 1 shot at making the bolt and if my attempt ended in failure, I would regret not making 5 bolt carriers instead of 3 and I'm still not 100% on how to manufacture the bolt. Nothing on YouTube. I am assuming that it is made from bar stock, hammered into shape and then machined to spec. The lugs look like they are made using a broach on an vertical indicator or a mill using a proprietary end mill. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I would be willing to test. I will shoot several thousands rounds of rifle ammo each, and I have a spare lightweight Barrel and spare ALG rail to start a build with. I could have the other members of my shooting group put their ammo through it when we shoot together. No promises, but I tend to "under-commit and over-deliver" when I commit to things.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 02-10-18 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    the entire bolt carrier, the drawing I posted is roughly 3% smaller than original, that takes in account for laser clad/ceramax coating. Once its on, I can grind it to MIL dimensions. Doing some thinking and looking around, I think I could possibly make the actual bolt along with cam using HY-100. This would mean I would be able to make a total of (3) bolt carrier groups minus the extractor assembly, gas rings, roll pins, springs, firing pin and gas key. I could purchase those things separately from a preferred supplier and assemble using grade 8 SHCS for the gas key. I don't know how to stake the gas key but I'm sure someone on here knows how. The only problem with that is that I would literally have 1 shot at making the bolt and if my attempt ended in failure, I would regret not making 5 bolt carriers instead of 3 and I'm still not 100% on how to manufacture the bolt. Nothing on YouTube. I am assuming that it is made from bar stock, hammered into shape and then machined to spec. The lugs look like they are made using a broach on an vertical indicator or a mill using a proprietary end mill. Any thoughts?
    I would stick to only making bolt carriers from the material. Bolts of known quality could be used which would narrow down potential issues.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I would be interested in doing a test and generally run about 600 rounds a month through various AR15 platforms.

It would be beneficial if you were to establish some sort of protocol to help monitor qualities you think are worth exploring.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    I am down for this, i have a couple thousand rounds of ammo i can burn thru this summer..... or when ever you have these bolt carriers made....

Feedback Score
    Heck I'd give one a run could stick in my SBR I run suppressed and burn though a few thousand 5.56 and nasty 223 rnds. With my just add more oil cleaning cycle. I got a few carpenters bolts to run. One could get ran by a few of us that burn though a bunch of ammo pass to next then send you it to inspection to see how it's holding up. The thing that should happen is to log amount and firing rates. I think a few of us have shoot out a carrier key here.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WTF does this mean!??

Making fun of people with Autism??

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast