Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have an affinity for abusing rifles in humid dirty environments.

But I’m not sure how you’d measure the effectiveness of a bolt carrier. Nor do I think the carrier itself is subjected to that much stress anyway.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    same with the bolt itself, I think these are forged into shape then machined finished using maybe a broach, lathe or a mill , I don't have the tools to machine the lugs.
    I don't believe the bolts are forged. There are some pretty good videos showing an automated lathe/mill pumping bolts out. "Wire" bigger than the bolt lug OD feeds through the headstock, then the lugs broached, face turned, then body turned, if I recall.

As Bill Alexander has said more than once... "It's all in the heat-treat". Good material is the starting point, but even very good materials fail in bolts without proper heat treat. That applies to C158, 9310, whatever.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I don't believe the bolts are forged. There are some pretty good videos showing an automated lathe/mill pumping bolts out. "Wire" bigger than the bolt lug OD feeds through the headstock, then the lugs broached, face turned, then body turned, if I recall.

As Bill Alexander has said more than once... "It's all in the heat-treat". Good material is the starting point, but even very good materials fail in bolts without proper heat treat. That applies to C158, 9310, whatever.
    Nothing to it with the right machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkn3P2Z5m5U

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Nothing to it with the right machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkn3P2Z5m5U
    There is another one like that that even does the bolt face. Has two spindles, which grabs the tail of the bolt, then the face is done.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd love to test one but with several rifles needing shooting I'm not sure I could do it, however after a little testing by me I might be able to runt it in some students' rifles this summer and get potentially much more than 1000 rounds on one.

Feedback Score
    I think if you ran 10,000 rounds with one of these you'd see very little wear...just like with every other carrier out there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I'm having (5) bolt carriers manufactured using HY-100 steel. This is the same material US submarines are made from and are virtually indestructible and resistant to corrosion. The steel is certified MIL-S-21952 C/D and T9074-BD-GIB-010/0300 and rated at 100,000psi. You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HY-80. Our company manufactures replacement parts for the Ohio Class Submarines and I had some material left over, the material I have has been ultra sound, X-RAY, gamma irradiated and stress test.

Having said that, I am wanting to know if anyone would want to test these out for me. Possibly a few thousand rounds should provide enough feedback. Basically I'm wanting someone to try to destroy these bolt carriers through heavy firing, wet/humid conditions, carbon build up, different types of ammo etc. I don't know if there is a market for these considering these would probably cost around $400-$500 but perhaps last a lifetime. Anyways, let me know if you have interest or wanting more information.
    Would you put up the $1,000 required for me to put a "few thousand rounds" through it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtoftheGun View Post
    Would you put up the $1,000 required for me to put a "few thousand rounds" through it?
    really?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LockenLoad View Post
    really?
    Sure, if the guy is looking for beta testers and asking them to put a few thousand rounds downrange using his BC, why not?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtoftheGun View Post
    Sure, if the guy is looking for beta testers and asking them to put a few thousand rounds downrange using his BC, why not?
    Im sure he would if you purchase his $1,000 bolt carrier.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast