Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: anyone willing to test a Bolt Carrier

Feedback Score
    You do realize that AISI 8620 steel, heat treated in accordance with the drawing, has a yield strength of 128,000 psi.

And, HY-100 IS NOT a corrosion resistant steel. It is more resistant to sea water corrosion than most high strength steels (4xxx, 8xxx steels), but it is subject to corrosion. Which is why chipping paint is a Navy tradition.

Steel choice is more than just - strength = good.

The HY series was developed for high strength (yield and ultimate), good ductility, notch toughness, atmospheric corrosion resistance, and weldability. With a bolt carrier excellent hardness and wear properties are far more important, which is why surface carburized 8620 is used. It can be hardened to Rockwell C 63 to 64.

Quite honestly, a case hardened 1080 steel carrier would probably work quite well for several thousand rounds, as long as the bore was chrome plated and properly Parkerized. There is no reason why HY-100 wouldn't be perfectly adequate, but I doubt it would be "better" than 8620.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    I have decided to call this Reactive™ Buffer System.

Since I sold my company, the HY100 has been difficult acquiring in small batches. I have since decided to use 9310. A. its cheaper, B. no minimum purchase and C. Everyone here seemed to not like the HY100 idea.

The research/development, testing and design phase is 100% complete.

Autodesk Inventor Pro 2018 software was used for 100% design and assembly.

Autodesk Finite Element Analysis software was used for mechanical stress analysis (mechanical stress, mechanical vibration, linear statics, heat transfer and fatigue) Looks promising!

Autodesk Feature CAM software was used to covert my design drawing into NC code and to create the most efficient tool paths for faster machining.

Since I sold my company I no longer have access to any machines or tooling. But will choose a vendor to manufacture the individual parts using my supplied material. I will assemble each unit myself.

I found a supplier for the gas key/SHCS fasteners.

I have NOT found a supplier for the complete bolt assembly.

I believe that this technology can reduce the felt recoil from 12-14lbs to a manageable 5.5-6lbs in a .308 and 5.9-6.4lbs to 2.8-3.5lbs in a 5.56.
    Last edited by elephant; 05-07-18 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

Feedback Score
    Simply fascinating, I do wish you the best with this project.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm glad to see technical innovation regarding AR platform and firearms in general.
    If you ever create a prototype make some videos of shooting with it and post it on youtube. I'd like to see how it works in real life.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Dang! I love the design plans.

Would love to test this out, would be happy to put a few thousand down range for TnE; and wouldn't mind chipping in what I can for materials cost.

Keep me in mind, good sir. This looks like an awesome endeavor.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Very interesting. Not where I thought this was going, but good to see it's still going.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Dang! I love the design plans.
    Say no more! Years ago, I was manufacturing the hydraulic cylinders and central power unit for the Patriot Missile System as well as the missile erection cylinders and launch pad leveling cylinders for the Minuteman III program and got a chance to bid on a manufacturing package. The DOD was requesting a parts replacement program for some of there current inventory. I will let you guess what these are.

Attachment 51881

Attachment 51882

Attachment 51883

Attachment 51884

Attachment 51885

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So it’s this a one piece receiver extension or a drop in system into milspec buffer tubes?

Either way I love the design and would love to try it, could we use any carrier with this system? If not I would love to see a carrier with extra gas ports to bleed excess gas like the LMT enhanced carriers.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    So it’s this a one piece receiver extension or a drop in system into milspec buffer tubes?

Either way I love the design and would love to try it, could we use any carrier with this system? If not I would love to see a carrier with extra gas ports to bleed excess gas like the LMT enhanced carriers.
    It slides into a milspec buffer tube, this replaces your buffer and buffer spring. Only one modification needed, remove buffer detent and buffer detent spring. You can use your existing bolt carrier, I have decided not to reinvent the wheel.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast